Pregnant after 35

I am having a giant baby

I've been having regular growth ultrasounds since 26 weeks, so my OB said today that while weight estimates can indeed be off by a pound or so, we can be confident that I'm having an above-average size baby. As of last Tuesday, 34w1d, baby was estimated to weigh 6 lbs 15 oz, and is in the 95th percentile (and no, I don't have GD).  YIKES -- on track for a 10 lb-er here. One more u/s at 38 weeks to see where we're at.  Right now my OB says it's totally reasonable to attempt natural labor, but that we'll talk again in 3 weeks when we know more.  Again: YIKES. I'll happily take stories about vaginal births of big babies that went just fine....
me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 

Re: I am having a giant baby

• Sorry your baby is measuring so big! My mom had some big babies au naturale: I was nearly 9 pounds and my little sister was nearly 10. It was no big deal, so she says :)

I just got a weight estimate of my guy because we were worried about the opposite problem, and they are guessing he is 7 lbs, which I am rather happy with- not too big bit too small. But who knows maybe he is a lot bigger than we think... And he is still in there growing, too.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Neither of my babies were particularly large in terms of weight, but my first baby had a head circumference in the 95th percentile! I'm fairly petite, but I guess I've got some good child bearing hips, because I managed to push him out without drugs, and had only a tiny surface tear that didn't require stitches. My DS is now 9, and his head looks perfectly proportionate to his body, in case you were wondering, LOL! He did used to outgrow his shirts in the neckhole first, though, when he was a baby and toddler. I'd have to move up in size when I couldn't get the shirt over his head!

Think of it this way... if you have a large baby, you will lose a lot of that baby weight just giving birth!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was nearly 9 1/2 pounds and my mom did not have a c-section.  I am fearing that she is going to get her revenge come March!  ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • steverstever member

It's totally possible. Lots of women have 10+ pound babies vaginally.

I'm itty bitty and DS was close to 8 pounds and I had him vaginally and without an epi, so you'd be surprised what's possible.

• Wow! That's so cool that they can guestimate weight now. My mom had no problem (other than a long time period) delivering me w/o meds at 9 lbs. 

No advice really since I am not even to the point of thinking that far ahead yet, but that's amazing that you have such a big, healthy girl in there. Kudos to you! 

ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We're in the same boat - no GD here either, but at 32w5d baby was measuring 5 lbs on the ultrasound! I had another u/s this morning but for some reason OB didn't order a measurement, she just wanted to see how he was presenting (head down, wooop!). I'm scared to death!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first dd was 9lbs and delivered vaginally. This second baby a boy, I know for sure just has to bigger, isn't that how it works? I asked my ob if he thought I'd be delivering vaginally due to the size of my last and I tried to throw in the 'old' card, he didn't buy it and said I obviously can handle big babies..... sigh.
    Mom to Hope 2004 Blessed with #2 due to arrive 11/02/12
  • LorMorLorMor member

What I've heard - and I'm a FTM, so not my own experience - is that bigger babies actually "help" get themselves out. I don't know whether it's just their weight, or that they are more active during the birth, but I've heard that from a number of people.

Also, big babies have better immunity! 

• I'm lurking over here...

My daughter was 9lbs., 5 oz.  Delivered vaginally at 38 1/2 wks, labor started naturally...I wasn't induced).  It was a very smooth delivery. 

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • DD#1: 8lbs   DS: 9lbs   DD#2: 6lbs 3 oz.

The smallest baby was the hardest delivery!  I did all three births vaginally and med free.  Isaiah (DS) was 6 hours of labor and the easiest of the deliveries :-)

good luck to you!

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm so sorry, Drs scare the bejeeses out of you when you're expecting a bigger baby. I've had bigger babies w/o GD, and smaller ones with GD - my biggest (noGD) was nearly 10lbs (and he was 10 days ahead of EDD). My "premie" was 3 1/2 wks early and was 8lbs - thank God he was so early! No newborn clothes at your house :( Blessings for a healthy baby & a safe delivery.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My son was estimated to be 8 lbs and ended up being 9 lbs. 14 oz. and 22 3/4 inches long.  I'm not gonna lie..it was brutal.  I ended up with a C/S but I have heard of MANY women going vaginally with babies even bigger than my guy.

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Coming in from lurking:::

DS was 10 lbs 13 ozs and was 6 days early.  I did not need a C-section although the episotomy was not super fun, I made it thru and you will too!  :)

Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image
  • I'm lurking too...DS was 9 lbs 10 oz and all was well.  They actually made me take the 3 hour glucose test in my 39th week just to confirm that I didn't have GD (I didn't).   I remember asking my doctor what the "cut-off" weight was for a vaginal delivery.  Though I didn't want a c/s, I didn't want to kill myself trying to deliver a huge baby only to end up with a c/s anyway.  My doctor told me that there were women who easily delivered 10 lb babies and those who struggled with 7 lb pound babies.  There's just no way to predict how delivery will go...so he told me to expect a vaginal delivery.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for posting. T&Ps that all goes well. 

I'm in that boat with you...I am only 5'4 have gained 32lbs so far and they estimated my little guy at 4lbs 5 oz. at 30 weeks.  So I'm likely going to have a 9 lber.  I hope to go natural but am keeping an open mind.

• I had a 10.5-pounder. Unfortunately, I had to have a C-section purely because of her size -- she would not fit through my pelvis. And no, I didn't have GD.

Nice thing about big healthy babies -- they sleep well. My DD was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well my DD was 9.5 lbs and 23".....she was practically a toddler!  Lol  it was a natural birth, no pain meds with the luxury of pitocin for 13 hours....good times.  I was not GD either, just big baby.  Very anxious to see what this LO brings.  Good luck to you!
  • I too have been having growth US this pregnancy. Im due 8/26 and at 35w 5d last US showed baby was 7lb 14oz! My prev babies were big too. (no GD) Some say growth scans vary greatly but so far it seems consistent. GL!
    SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• I hear you on the YIKES!  I never had any growth scans with DS.  I only gained 18lbs my whole pg and lost 2 of those in the last 2 weeks.  The doc kept telling my DS was "average" size.  Our definition of average is very different.  Mine is 7lbs and DS was 9lbs even. 

I had a vaginal birth.  I'm not going to lie, it was tough.  It didn't help that DS was posterior presentation.  I had terrible back labour, and an early epi.  Took 12 hr to dilate and 45 mins of pushing.  I tore pretty badly and ended up breaking my tailbone pushing DS out (which is really rare).  This time around I have had a couple of extra u/s because of bleeding issues and I know that this peanut is measuring at least 7-9 days ahead in head circumferance, head diamater and body circumferance.  My OB and I are discussing having a c/s this time around because I still have problems with my tailbone (again a very rare occurance).  I may request a growth scan closer to my EDD to help make my final delivery decision.

Hopefully your lo will slow down in the growth department and the weight estimates are overstated.  GL.

• I had a 10lb. 6 oz 22 in. baby boy. ALL NATURAL. No meds. 

I was going in to be induced. When I got to hospital nothing, no contractions all smiles dr. checked me I was already 5 cm. I got that lovely drug patocine (not sure on the spelling) and 26 mins, YES 26 MIN later my BIG BOY was here! I ripped from front to back 15 stitches it took them longer to stitch me up then I did to deliver him. 

Now I have also had had a CS after that. personally I would take a vag. delivery or a c section. This pregnancy I dont have a choice my hospital does not do vabacs, so it sucks to me!!

But seriously good luck it's not as bad as it sounds..... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"