December 2011 Moms

S/O Hospital "Swag Bags"

The article about NYC banning formula-sponsored swag bags got me thinking...

1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital?

2.  What was the least useful?

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie?

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: S/O Hospital "Swag Bags"

• 1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital?  I got that brown/teal Enfamil bag.  The little freezer bag with blue ice pack was fantastic.  It was the perfect size for bags of pumped BM.  I used it every day after I went back to work.

2.  What was the least useful?  Formula coupons...but I gave them to my cousin...her LO had jaundice and she had to supplement from day 1.

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie?  I would have loved a cheap manual breast pump (and a lesson with the LC about how to use it).  They make simple $10 models (cheaper than formula!).  That would have been so helpful for when my milk came in and I was so engorged that LO couldn't latch on. 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. A swaddle! It saved my life. They also gave us a lasagna!

2. Formula samples

3.  Another lasagna!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  •  1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital? I scored some Lanisoh Gel Pads for nipples. I only needed them for about a week, but they were so helpful. I wouldn't have thought to buy them on my own. We still have a few in our freezer.2.  What was the least useful? They sent me home with a bedpan that they wanted me to use to flush with warm water. I just sat on the toilet for that. 
    3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie? More breastfeeding supplies. I like the previous post idea about a manual pump. Maybe breast pads or lanolin. Or a fun nursing cover.
  • No swag bags here. We did get to take home a little comb. It came in handy for cradle cap tx.
  • Haha, probably the formula :). We were on preemie formula and the NICU sent us home with about 2 weeks worth which was nice. I also really loved the huge pads they gave me for PP. Oh, and we also got some free vitamins for Harry. Those were nice to have since they run about $10 a bottle.

I never once used the witchhazel pads and only used the peri bottle a couple times.

I would have enjoyed some stronger pain meds than I was given (well, I had to pay for them). 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• 1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital?

They gave out reusable breastpads, which I thought was pretty cool. I also liked the adorable Christmas-colored hat for LO :)

They sent us home with a bunch of the dry wipes they use in the hospital. I know some people love them but they're still sitting unused on the changing table. 

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie?

Not exactly a freebie, but I wish our hospital would do pump rentals - you have to go through WIC and I can't get one unless I'm working fulltime. I'm soo tired of my little cheapie handheld.

Or, heck, I'd just take lasagna! :)

BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• imageKeyLime81:

1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital? Diapers! and the peri bottle....I used the crap out of that thing!

2.  What was the least useful? Hospital pads

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie? AR formula...although we didn't know he was a reflux baby until a few weeks after he was born :0)

I didn't get a swag bag though I just threw the diapers and pads in my bag every time they came in and they would restock them.  They gave us size 1's too so I ended up only having to buy one small bag of 1's ourselves :)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Definitely his nose sucker!  He hates the Nose Frida but will let me suck out his nose with the cheapo blue sucker from the hospital all day long. 

2. 3 formula bags full of stuff.  I found them several months later in the back of his closet.  (We ended up formula feeding but did not need 3 insulated bottle bags)

3.  Definitely a hand-held pump would have been great, and probably some much needed handouts about breast feeding, a phone number for a LC would have been handy too.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 0015-1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagemtb21:
    imageCountingUp:
    No swag bags here. We did get to take home a little comb. It came in handy for cradle cap tx.
    Yeah... all I got was the peri bottle & mesh undies. Oh well - I guess that's the price we pay for free health care. :)

Don't get me started on the mesh undies. our hosp. had a 2 pair limit. I didn't know this and tossed pair 2 on day 2. When I asked for a new pair the nurse was a snotty wench and told me the rules.

They gave me so many things to get started, of course I already had most of it, but it was still very appreciated.  My favorite thing is the brown & lime green diaper bag; I like it so much more than the one I bought.  Also, the nurse gave me a hand full of the teal pacifiers (still using those). 

2.  What was the least useful?  I didn't end up using the bed pads that you can lay on once I got home.  All of the other pads came in handy though.

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie?  Diapers would have gotten used for sure.  Also, they had the best receiving blankets for swaddling because they were so big.

• Most useful freebie was all those cloth-like wipes they use in the NICU. They are super soft and are perfect for runny noses. Dh loves them. The nurse hooked us up by putting several packages in his drawer the morning we took him home. We still have some!

Least useful was the ready to feed formula. 

Would have loved a manual pump!  

• You guys reminded me...I DID get a manual pump. I only used it a couple of times. It was really hard to clean.

We left with so much stuff, it was like a baby shower--board books, a baby tub, a grooming kit, Halo swaddle blanket, lasagna and breadsticks, formula, a fingertip feeder that DH used to give LO his first meal, diapers, a wal-mart gift card...it was epic!

• I feel jipped. I only got what I could snatch while the nurse wasn't looking. Which was diapers, his little hat, and the suction thing. ....I guess more diapers would have been great!
  • imageKeyLime81:

1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital? FORMULA!! Didnt expect to have DD at 36 weeks lol

2.  What was the least useful? BF stuff-I have dumb boobs I guess lol

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie?Half off coupon for my hospital bill! haha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageHappily Overwhelmed:
    I feel jipped. I only got what I could snatch while the nurse wasn't looking. Which was diapers, his little hat, and the suction thing. ....I guess more diapers would have been great!

Same here. Our hospital did not give formula bags out to EBF moms. Heck, they barely fed me in the 3 days I was there (I had DS around New Years weekend and it was super busy). :( Although I did get a ton of extra parts for my Medela PISA pump, which has been great having 2+ sets of everything.  

A nursing cover, reusable nursing pads, or Lansinoh smoothies would have been wonderful "gifts." 

• 1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital? We came home with a ton of stuff! Diapers, cloth wipes, burp cloths (which I still keep in the diaper bag for spills and stuff), bulb syringe, lanolin cream, gel breast pads, an extra set of pump parts for my Medela pump, 2 Halo sleepsacks, 2 children's books, a cute African basket from one of their sister hospitals, a Christmas hat for DD, an embroidered onesie, and of course, numerous pairs of mesh underwear and pads. I also got a huge insulated mug that I loved.

2.  What was the least useful? Nothing really, although we never used the RTF formula they sent home with us.

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie? Our hospital was incredibly generous....we cleaned up! :) Although I think more breastfeeding items are always a plus. And a meal would have been nice!

• Gosh, I can't believe how little some of you ladies got from the hospital! We had a super sweet nurse (same nurse with both babies) and she loaded us down! We got a ton of diapers (she even sneaked a pack or two into our suitcases), a couple of bulb syringes, lots of supplies and ointment for circ's, tons of breastfeeding info, baby hats and Christmas socks, wipes, baby combs, a diaper bag full of goodies, and with our first, they gave us a carseat (Im sure we were charged, but insurance paid everything) that we gave the grandparents to use in their car so we didn't have to change if we went with them. I would have loved to have a manual breast pump, but that's about all I can think of that we didn't get. I loved the peri bottle and sitz bath with the sprayer and aloe inserts they gave us! It was a life saver! And the ice pack pads were Heaven!
  • ccip82ccip82 member

Wow, sounds like a lot of you got some great stuff! 

The best things we got were the nose bulb, mesh panties, huge pads, free food coupons for DH while we were there, and my personal favourite- the candy cane striped hat and red stocking that E fit inside which said "my first Christmas" 

What we did not use- the formula they gave.

I would have loved a manuel pump! 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• we got whatever we wanted out of the drawer of her bassinet - diapers, wipes, a couple of the kimono t-shirts, nose bulb, and comb. oh and a pacifier.  and we took a few of those receiving blankets they wrap baby in

then for me I could take the peri bottle, witch hazel pads, mesh undies and huge pads.

I used/still use all of it and had no idea until this post that there are a million more things i could wish they'd give me!

ETA they did not give or offer formula, but that may be because we never had issues BFing, right from the start she was a great nurser.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• 1.  What was the best/most useful freebie you got from the hospital? Probably the tucks pads and jumbo pads

2.  What was the least useful? The 7 tubs of formula. Had H go donate it to the womens shelter so it did some good :)

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie? Would have LOVED some breast feeding gear.

• imageHappily Overwhelmed:
    I feel jipped. I only got what I could snatch while the nurse wasn't looking. Which was diapers, his little hat, and the suction thing. ....I guess more diapers would have been great!

Same here. When they brought her to us the morning of the day we went home (which was around 1pm) they had literally cleaned out the whole cart of EVERYTHING except for 2 diapers, 2 bottles of formula and a few wipes. Luckily we had grabbed 2 of the receiving blankets a few nights prior but I was so disappointed that we couldn't get a few more blankets and some other things. Everyone else that I knew who had a baby got sent home with a bunch of stuff and they were encouraged to take whatever they could get their hands on.

Which also reminds me, I found it odd that other than the night she was born, everytime they brought A to me she was never wearing a hat. I guess they were scared you would take those too (which of course I wanted to).

My hospital just pretty much all around sucked (for many reasons). 

My Manual Breast Pump and a book about what to do with the newborn at home- that thing was my bible the first few weeks (esp with DS).  We grabbed the shirts and receiving blankets (even though we weren't supposed to), the diapers, nose suction, wipes, mesh undies, ice packs (which I just used a bunch of while weaning actually).

I gave birth at the same hospital for both kids and when I was there for DS they had actually added a free congratulatory dinner for parents on their last night. It was a 'formal' dinner that you could choose an appetizer, main course, dessert and champagne- it even came with a gender colored  tablecloth. I passed because I was by myself, but thought it was a nice idea.

I got a mountain of paperwork/handouts about everything- I think it was 40+ pages on everything baby related. It was not useful because some of it was outdated and some of it was in Spanish.

3.  What would have been an ideal gift/freebie

The only thing I can think of would have been a meal or a gift certificate to a meal somewhere.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"