Babies: 9 - 12 Months

102-103.5 Temps!!! ((UPDATE))

LO's temp went to 102.6 Wednesday night, I gave her tylenol.

Thursday morning, she was back to normal.  Thursday afternoon 4p.m./5p.m. it went back up, to 103.  I gave her tylenol, then at bedtime another dose. 

She woke up Friday, with 102.2 temp, took her to the DR, and said nothing was wrong, checked for ear infections, ear, nose, throat, even did a blood test.  Everything was normal.  So from Friday night through Saturday night we stacked Tylenol/Motrin.  (Except we didn't wake her up at 2a.m. for treatment - now I'm thinking we should have.)  Last night she went to bed and it was completely normal.  98.7.  I gave her the Tylenol anyway, just didn't want it to peak over night. 

So we wake up this morning... and its back up.  To 103.3.  The Dr said to keep stacking the motrin/tylenol.  But how long is too long to keep this up.  Its like it goes down during the day and then in the afternoon it jacks back up.  She is very possible teething.  She's 10 mths and not a tooth in her head.  Her gums are extremely swollen. 

Has anyone gone through this?  She's acting 100% normal, laughing, playing, she just wants to be held a little more.  But she's perfect!  I just really need some reassurance.

*****************************************************************************************

I took LO back to the DR first thing this morning and refused to leave without some answers.  I told the Pedi she wasn't having many wet diapers in the past two days, she did more blood work and a catherter (sp) for a urine analysis. Come to find out.  She has a urinary infection.  I told her on Friday her pee had smelled "odd" in the mornings, but she said the older she got and different food she ate could contribute to that. 

So, she got a shot of antibiotics today, have to take her in again for one tomorrow, then she has to take a 5-day oral antibiotic.  I'm just glad we figured it out.  In the interim she's still running a little fever, so we're giving motrin when she does have a fever. 

Thanks you guys!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 102-103.5 Temps!!! ((UPDATE))

• Temps are too high to be caused by teething, IMO. 

If everything was cleared by dr, I kind of wonder if it could be roseolla. If a rash appears once her temps break for good, you have your answer.  

If it were me though, I'd probably call the dr's office again tomorrow if it's still high.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• That is too high for teething. If it was me, i'd go back to the Dr, something is causing the fever. It could be a viral infection, in that case they wouldn't find the cause, but I'd need the reassurance. Temps are naturally higher in the afternoon and evening, but an morning temp of 103.3 would worry me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what the Pedi said, it was probably just a viral infection that has to take its course.  I will ABSOLUTELY call the DR first thing in the morning. 

But I just want to be sure that I'm not stacking Tylenol/Motrin for too long?  Saturday from 8a.m. - 10p.m. I did it.  Then I will do it again today.  She woke up at 8:30 (her next dose will be at 12:30). 

• imageMegan0426:

That's what the Pedi said, it was probably just a viral infection that has to take its course.  I will ABSOLUTELY call the DR first thing in the morning. 

But I just want to be sure that I'm not stacking Tylenol/Motrin for too long?  Saturday from 8a.m. - 10p.m. I did it.  Then I will do it again today.  She woke up at 8:30 (her next dose will be at 12:30). 

I'm not sure. I'd probably call the nurse's line or even the pharmacist to be sure.  

• I agree that the temp is much too high for teething.  LO had a high fever when he was an infant.  It took three days and a hospital stay to figure out that he had a bladder infection.  I think I'd take my LO back to the pedi and if he still said nothing was wrong, I think I'd make a trip to emerg.  I wouldn't just keep doling out the pain meds without knowing what the underlying problem was.  A fever is usually a sign that the body is fighting some sort of infection and I'd want to know what that is.  Good luck...I know too well how tough not knowing can be.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • your LO is fighting something off, but it's probably not teething. I was told that up to 104 can be normal!

I don't know about stacking and agree that you should be calling in.  

• I called the DR, because its down to 99.3.  She said she wouldn't treat it with Motrin/Tylenol stacking because its not above 101.  But I know its only down bc of the Motrin.

I called my mom (daycare provider) said her pedis/parents say treat it with Motrin/Tylenol stacking until its gone for a full 24hr period starting in the morning with a normal temperature! 

WHY do so many people say so many different things??!!  this is so aggrevating!

• Thanks guys.  since 11a.m. her temps been between 99 and 97.  I did give her a second does before her nap... she napped for 2.5 hours!!!  When she woke up she was down to 97.3.  Shes due for another dose at 4:30 and 8:30, so I'll probably give those.  I'm still debating on waking her up during the night for the other dose.  I'll play it by ear... and i'm praying in the morning she won't wake up with a fever at all!  Fingers Crossed.  =)
  • LedabeLedabe member
    DD had a fever virus for 5 days.  Only symptom was fever.  We stacked motrin and tylenol the entire time.  Google fever virus :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I'm happy to hear that the cause was found and that she'll be on the mend soon! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"