Food Allergy

Sick on formula, not breast milk?

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with the following.

I have been breastfeeding but have used formula to supplement to increase weight gain due to supply issues earlier on. DS havs had horrible experiences with formula- we have tried Gentlease, Similac Adv. and Alementum. He had serious facial swelling on Gentlease along with hives and vomit. He had ezema, hives, gas, vomit and fussiness on both of the Similac's. I have been EBF for the last 2 week (increased milk supply with Fenugreek and Lactation Cookies) and he has no problems. I have not changed my diet. I'm just not sure that I will be able to keep up with his demand when I get back to work. 

Anyone else have a LO with no allergy symptoms on breast milk, but allergic reations to formulas? My Peri thought that was odd and didn't have much to tell me, but she is running a blood test to see if any allergies show up (it might be too early- LO is only 8 weeks, Pedi suspects a corn allergy). She said that it is often the reverse- sick on breastmilk but okay with formula... I thought maybe someone here has some insight?...

TIA!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sick on formula, not breast milk?

• I'm not sure why your doctor thinks this is unusual. To me it seems more logical that breastmilk, which is designed for baby, would be better tolerated than manufactured formulas-- particularly if allergies are involved?

My DS had terrible reactions to milk-based formulas, including one that I believe was an anaphylactic reaction. He drank Nutramigen like twice, but hated it, so I can't say whether he tolerated it.

A lot of people say the 'hypoallergenic' formulas aren't really hypoallergenic since they are still milk-derived, just broken down. Some babies with strong dairy allergies still can't tolerate them.

I would assume your LO has a milk allergy (not an intolerance, but allergy given the hives and such). Mine does too. He's FINE if I consume dairy-- my diet doesn't affect him at all, actually. But he cannot have it directly at all. Not all women excrete 'complete' proteins in their BM that bother their allegic LO. It would appear that I don't, and it's possible you don't either.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• there is another member on this board (i think christina&mario) whose child didn't react to her breastmilk but had a very bad allergic reaction to formula. as someone else said, sometimes b/c the body breaks down the proteins, the baby doesn't react to breastmilk but does react to formula. have you tried alimentum or nutramigen? if those don't work, you may need neocate or elecare which have no milk proteins at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ps- it really annoys me how some pediatricians or sooo completely clueless when it comes to these things
  • Thank you all so much for the information!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"