Working Moms
Options

Breastfeeding accomidation law

I understand that under the law my employer is required to provide me a place to pump while at work.  I work on a college campus.  Does anybody know does that space have to be in the same building or floor where I work (I hope so), or just somewhere on the campus? 

Re: Breastfeeding accomidation law

• Options

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's just that they have to provide you a space - nothing about where it is or how close it is to your work location. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The law just says it has to be a room that is not a bathroom. No stipulation as to where or how convenient.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If the place they provide you is not convenient, I would just try to make your own arrangements.  On a college campus I would think it would be fairly easy to find someone's office to use while they are teaching a class.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I doubt it. I work at a university and we have 1 lactation room per campus (we have two campuses). The one for the campus I work at is not in the same  building. For people who don't have their own office, I imagine it's a pain and really time consuming, but I guess your employer would have to expect that (if it's the case for your school).
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member

imagestarswinger:
    The law just says it has to be a room that is not a bathroom. No stipulation as to where or how convenient.

Ditto.  I am in HR.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here's the actual law. 

For the purposes of this section, "employer" means a person or entity that employs one or more employees and includes the state and its political subdivisions.
     181.939 NURSING MOTHERS.

An employer must provide reasonable unpaid break time each day to an employee who needs to express breast milk for her infant child. The break time must, if possible, run concurrently with any break time already provided to the employee. An employer is not required to provide break time under this section if to do so would unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.

The employer must make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, in close proximity to the work area, other than a toilet stall, where the employee can express her milk in privacy. The employer would be held harmless if reasonable effort has been made.

For more info here is a great source:

https://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"