Blended Families

For the hard moments - this is why to do things right

We all have times when we want to throw in the towel. When we want to send our stepkids back to their other parent. When we want to badmouth the other parent because they constantly make our lives so difficult. When we want to go nuts on the ex. When we want to stop claiming someone because of some lack of title that makes us feel like we aren't really family. This is why we should take the high road and do things right anyway.

I'll use technical terms to make my point. Yesterday I spent the day with my mother, her SO, my stepfather, my half sister, my stepkids and my biological daughter. For hours.  Even after my mother and stepfather split up, my stepfather continued to be a part of my life. He bought a house big enough that I could have my own room even though I was ungrateful enough to only visit once or twice. My half sister has probably never even heard the term half sister. My mother and stepfather are very good friends after years of effort to simply be civil. My mothers SO is wonderful to all of us. Both my mother and stepfather claim all three of the kids I'm raising and make it a point to spend time with each of them.

We sat and talked about our life. What's important, how all the work has paid off. We talked about my step brother who my stepfather, half sister and I are hoping to go visit soon. My step bother and I talk a lot even though we've never met.

This is why. Sometimes the most insane blended families can make it work. And it's amazing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For the hard moments - this is why to do things right

• glad you guys all had a great day! I agree, sometimes you want to take the easy way out, but you have to keep in mind the kids.  I wish we had a better relationship with BM for SD's benefit, but I feel like it will be years before we get to that point. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • +1

Today, we attended the baptism for BM's new son. DH, DD, and I went up to the front with the rest of the family, even though we're not related to the child. It can be very hard to let go of bitterness, anger, perceived injustice, etc, but it is definitely worth it in my experience.

• Loading the player...
  • This gives the rest of us hope for the future!!! I always tell myself to stick it out because in the future one day, things will get better. Usually when the specific person pulls their head out of their @ss!! Stick out tongue  haha 
  • its nice to hear you are all CIVIL!.. BM is not lol.. Hope we can get there someday!

Best of Luck

• imagejkacera15:
    This gives the rest of us hope for the future!!! I always tell myself to stick it out because in the future one day, things will get better. Usually when the specific person pulls their head out of their @ss!! Stick out tongue  haha 
    That's the goal! Sometimes the hard work really does pay off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"