Cloth Diapering

Washing Synthetics with natural fibers

As a FTM, I have kind of a weird question and I am not sure if I am getting the right advice from a friend.

Can I wash synthetic fabrics with naturals (Elementals or prefolds)? I have a friend who avoids all MF fabrics because of stink issues, and I have also heard that MF can "clog the pores" of natural fibers in the wash, making them less absorbent. I am building my stash and kind of want to know what direction to go- avoid synthetics or no? My plan is pre-folds and covers in the beginning.

Although I know baby will determine what she likes....

I just basically want to avoid having to strip, do multiple loads for each type of fabric, blahblahblah... 

FWIW I live in an area with hard water and have a top loader 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Washing Synthetics with natural fibers

• When you are prepping the diapers, natural and synthetic fibers should be prepped seperately.  This is because the oils from the natural diapers can get into the synthetic fibers and not prep those properly.

Once they're prepped, you can wash both together.  No need to do separate loads.

Synthetic fibers can hold stink more often than natural, but if you wash them right, you can avoid it.  Just make sure microfiber doesn't go against baby's skin as it can cause a bad rash.  I use hemp more than microfiber, but I haven't had any problems with my microfiber inserts.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • I don't have many natural fabrics but after prepping you can wash it all together.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"