High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bariatric Surgery prior to Pregnancy...

Hello All!

I am just about 29 weeks, and at my last appointment my glucose test showed 178. At 180, my OB doesn't require the three hour test, and because I was so close, she said it's likely I have GD. The catch: 6 years ago, I had bariatric surgery. I've lost a ton of weight and kept most of it off for several years...then I got pregnant. I have only gained about 4-6 lbs since the start, and ever since my surgery I have reacted to sugar much like a diabetic- but never tested positive for diabetes. I usually only react to pure sugar (sweets, etc) and as such, avoid them. If I eat them, it takes an hour or so to recover, then I'm fine. After a few days of 4 times daily blood sugar monitoring at home, my average is about 85-90...Has anyone else had this type of an issue? I am concerned about a misdiagnoses, and am considering asking my doctor for a re-test.....any advice would be helpful as I make my decision....Thanks Bumpies!

Re: Bariatric Surgery prior to Pregnancy...

• Options

Thank you!

I feel like a GD diet is pretty easy to follow, because I normally eat very carefully- except the insane cheeseburger craving! I just want to try to prevent the 4 times finger pricking- I hate needles!  I noticed that my blood sugar went to 98 when I ate a slice of cake, but eating a normal meal keeps it around 85. And, baby is doing great....maybe I will talk to the doctor about following the diet, and not taking blood 4 times a day (my fingertips are killing me!). Besides the GD, I also have severe hypothyroid disease (managed) and anemia (also managed) so I have to be super vigilant that I am treating my body correctly.

Regardless, I love being pregnant! My motto's been, whatever it takes! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"