Cloth Diapering
Options

calgon help

Hi ladies.  I have been having some ammonia issues recently so I began using Funk Rock and Hard Rock on my 20 month old son's diapers.  Previously I had been using Country Save, and I just don't think it was cutting it anymore. 

The RnG products seem to be making a great difference in my dipes, but I would like to try using the Calgon water softener as well to see if that helps.  I see that there is powder and liquid available.  Since my laundry products are powder I was thinking of going with powdered Calgon as well, but how much?  The description on Amazon says 1/2 cup but that seems like quite a lot.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks!! Big Smile

Re: calgon help

• Options
    I usually use around 1/3 cup powdered.  With the liquid I use 1/2 of the lid.  It all depends upon how hard your water is.  If it is super super hard, use the full 1/2 cup, if it is "normal" hard use a bit less.  The clagon binds with the minerals in the water, so you need enough of it to bind with all the minerals so your detergent can do its work.  If you used a full cup, I don't think it would be an issue because it rinses out easily.  I mainly use it when my daughter has had some really bad poopies - to make sure all the stains come out.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, awesome, thanks for the advice.  One more question- do you add it in the same compartment as the detergent?  I have an HE FL if that makes a difference.  Not sure when is the best time in the cycle to add it.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"