May 2012 Moms
Options

Weird recent sleep patterns

DD will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, and for the last 2 weeks her naps and night sleeping patterns have been really odd and unpredictable - at first, she cut down drastically on her naps and stayed awake for a very long time during the day - her naps all went down to 30-45 mins from 2 hour ones. 

That lasted for about a week. Then, she started taking really frequent naps all day long until her usual witching hours, but then went down for the night as normal.

Now for the past few days she's been napping A TON - often just waking up to nurse, staying a little more awake in the evening, but then completely refusing to go down from around 9PM until 12:30AM! Then she sleeps normally throughout the night once we finally get her to settle down.

At first I thought she might be growth spurting, but she showed no other signs of it (no increased eating or fussiness), It MIGHT have happened and just showed through her sleeping pattern only, but that still doesn't explain the 2-week long set of changes, or why she suddenly naps all day but refuses to go down at night... I'm not comfortable forcing her to stay up during the day because she's clearly tired and will just cry unless she gets to sleep.

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing funky sleep patterns lately, or might know what this is all about/when the sleeping might level itself out? We have her 2 month pedi appointment on Monday, so I'll be able to ask then too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weird recent sleep patterns

• Options

DS does the same exact thing and he's about 8.5 weeks.  at about 6 weeks he would NOT nap during the day, but then would sleep from 10:30 to 6 or 7am.  Then a week later he would go to bed at 7pm wake up at 3 or 4, then back down till 8. THEN, few days later, he picked up a 2 am feeding (that was an exhausting few days) and suddenly dropped it.  The one thing I can usually rely on is a 3-4 hour nap about mid day.  He doesn't nap much other then that.

I think it's a pretty normal for them to still be trying to discover a pattern at this age, but hopefully there's some reprieve soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    YES!  Since about 6 weeks my son's sleep schedule has completely changed.  Up until then we was sleeping decently at night (usually a 4-6 hour stretches, sometimes more) and then at least one good 2-3 hour nap during the afternoon and a few other hour long naps in the morning after evening.  Then one day he started napping for 30 minutes for every nap!  And this has been going on for 2.5 weeks now.  I've tried everything I can think of but nothing has worked - swaddling, keeping the room dark, white noise, making the temperature warmer or colder, sleeping in the crib, sleeping in the rock 'n play!  Nothing makes his naps longer.  :-(  I'm hoping it's just a phase because I know my baby is not getting enough daytime sleep.  The good news is that his night sleep is still fairly good. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If there's one thing I've learned, it's that, just when you think you've got them figured out, they change. There is no normal because they've only been alive for a couple weeks! (I have to tell myself this all the time!) I try to go with the flow and give her a routine and some consistency on my end. I find she responds well to that. 
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"