Military Families

If you rented your house...

What resources did you use to get it out there? We have had no luck with a realtor/FSBO (and on MLS), and are now toying with the idea of renting (PCS NEXT MONTH!) I just put it on craigslist, and our housing office said they have no one coming in that could afford it. Any other ideas?
Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.

Re: If you rented your house...

• Haven't had to do this myself but have seen the question asked quite often on other boards. The two most popular options seem to be Military by Owner, there is a fee there but most people I have seen, say its worth it. Then there is AHRN, which is what I always use when looking for housing. Not sure if there is a fee for AHRN though. Good luck!

• From a renter's perspective:

We have found two out of three of our rent houses on AHRN when we move. So I don't know how it is for the homeowner, but it's been the best tool for locating homes for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • LyseeHLyseeH member
    we used a local realtor when we left and rented out house, my husbands father was incharge of it at first but it wasn't working for us. good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a property manager that manages our home if there are problems and is responsible for finding tenants.  We pay them 10% of the rent a month.  Sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it isn't depending on how many issues there are with the house.

The house we are renting now the owners did through Military By Owner and they are managing the house themselves.  I have noticed the nice thing about our situation vs theirs is that our property manager takes care of collecting rent and sending it to us via direct deposit where the owners of our home now have to wait for a check in the mail every month since I can't deposit from our bank to theirs easily.

Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used a property manager for both. I interviewed probably 5 or 6 different companies, just to shop around & compare services/rates. I thought I was being over the top about it, but the companies could not have been any different. Each offered different services (lawn care, maintenance on-site vs contractor maintenance, check-in/drive by frequency, etc) for different prices. We move too often & too far to even try to consider doing it ourselves; one house is on the east coast, one on the west, & we're overseas lol.
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • We used a property management company.  We listed on MilitaryByOwner,com and AHRN.  We did not do Craigslist.  It's not that we only wanted military renters, but we wanted renters who were smart enough to use realtors themselves or we're military. 

Not that guarantees a good renter, but if you are going through a realtor your more likely to be...and military members are a bit easier to deal with. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I've found every place we've lived at on Craigslist.  You're able to weed people out with application fees and doing a background/credit check.  Also you can hire someone to manage the house after it's rented. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jb2rnjb2rn member
    we used military by owner and had several emails/calls within a day (last year).
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• imagehunterjumper102:

We have a property manager that manages our home if there are problems and is responsible for finding tenants.  We pay them 10% of the rent a month.  Sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it isn't depending on how many issues there are with the house.

The house we are renting now the owners did through Military By Owner and they are managing the house themselves.  I have noticed the nice thing about our situation vs theirs is that our property manager takes care of collecting rent and sending it to us via direct deposit where the owners of our home now have to wait for a check in the mail every month since I can't deposit from our bank to theirs easily.

This is us 100%! I could have written this post my self!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Like several other people, we went with a property management company. I brought them digital photos of our house and backyard, and they had the property listed on several large real estate websites as well as AHRN within a week. They charge 10% of collected rent, but deal with tenants so you don't have to and our collected rent is direct deposited into our bank account. They also deal with background checks, repair complaints, and evictions if necessary.

We are similar to you in that most people are not able to afford our house, and unfortunately we had to put our rental fee at less than our monthly mortgage, but with it being in a new neighborhood with new construction still for sale, we couldn't sell without a very long wait and taking a HUGE loss.

We are renting a home at our new location, and to find it, we used AHRN pretty much exclusively. We are renting from a military couple through a property management company and it sounds like they are in just about the same situation to us. The good news is that the house here is less expensive than the one we own, so the money we are collecting for rent cancels out our current rent, and we are just left with the monthly cost of our mortage every month.

It's a difficult situation all around, but like others have mentioned, I think the property management company is definitely worth the expense. Our house was rented very quickly and empty for less than a week, hopefully you have a fast turnaround. Good luck!

Expecting our first on 3/26/2013!
  • imagehunterjumper102:

We have a property manager that manages our home if there are problems and is responsible for finding tenants.  We pay them 10% of the rent a month.  Sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it isn't depending on how many issues there are with the house.

This is us. I would never go without a property manager.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"