March 2012 Moms

4 month wakeful -tired momma

So my DS who used to STTN for a couple months now is waking up every.single.hour the past couple nights. All I do is put his pacifier back in his mouth and shush him and he goes right back to sleep. (Except at midnight when he thought it was playtime)

Anyone else having to wake up every hour? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4 month wakeful -tired momma

• kel716kel716 member

Yes, we're dealing with it too.  I have 2 graduate courses I need to finish, and her waking and lack of napping is making it nearly impossible.  To make matters worse, we're dealing with constipation in my son, so he's not sleeping well either.  Needless to say, I.am.exhausted. even with DH taking care of my son (since he can't with DD)

Is your son EBF'd?  If so, he probably needs to eat... 

This article was very insightful.  I've been trying to feed DD "sitting up" during the day so she can eat and check out what's going on. 

https://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

• DS is FF and just started tasting solids. He had is 4 month checkup yesterday and is a healthy 20 pounds and 27 1/4 inches long. The doctor is very happy with his growth and not concerned about not getting enough to eat ;-)

I know at this stage, they start to sleep more like adults by fading into sleep and the sleep cycle is 50-60 minutes. I am wondering if he is waking up between every cycle and what I can do about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes I am going through this too and it royally sucks.  She is waking up every hour after about 2:30am needing help to get back to sleep.  Once I put her pacifier back in and sometimes rock her bassinet she will fall back to sleep.  I know that it is not because of hunger.

I read on the Troublesome Tots blog that their sleep patterns do change at about 6 months, and if they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep then they will wake up every hour needing help to fall back to sleep.  Problem is I don't know how to teach her to fall asleep without help.

I really need to do something about it, I just don't know what. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageraspberry_bride:

Yes I am going through this too and it royally sucks.  She is waking up every hour after about 2:30am needing help to get back to sleep.  Once I put her pacifier back in and sometimes rock her bassinet she will fall back to sleep.  I know that it is not because of hunger.

I read on the Troublesome Tots blog that their sleep patterns do change at about 6 months, and if they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep then they will wake up every hour needing help to fall back to sleep.  Problem is I don't know how to teach her to fall asleep without help.

Most likely you will have to do some sleep training. My DD was waking every 45 minutes needing help going back to sleep. We finally gave in and read The Sleepeasy Solution, a kinder gentler CIO method. Within 2 nights she was STTN again. There are many different sleep training methods, we tried a few, but none worked as well as Sleepeasy.  https://www.amazon.com/The-Sleepeasy-Solution-Exhausted-Parents/dp/0757305601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343427593&sr=8-1&keywords=sleepeasy+solution

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCkanownik:
    imageraspberry_bride:

Yes I am going through this too and it royally sucks.  She is waking up every hour after about 2:30am needing help to get back to sleep.  Once I put her pacifier back in and sometimes rock her bassinet she will fall back to sleep.  I know that it is not because of hunger.

Most likely you will have to do some sleep training. My DD was waking every 45 minutes needing help going back to sleep. We finally gave in and read The Sleepeasy Solution, a kinder gentler CIO method. Within 2 nights she was STTN again. There are many different sleep training methods, we tried a few, but none worked as well as Sleepeasy.  https://www.amazon.com/The-Sleepeasy-Solution-Exhausted-Parents/dp/0757305601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343427593&sr=8-1&keywords=sleepeasy+solution

Thanks, I'll check it out! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekel716:

Yes, we're dealing with it too.  I have 2 graduate courses I need to finish, and her waking and lack of napping is making it nearly impossible.  To make matters worse, we're dealing with constipation in my son, so he's not sleeping well either.  Needless to say, I.am.exhausted. even with DH taking care of my son (since he can't with DD)

This article was very insightful.  I've been trying to feed DD "sitting up" during the day so she can eat and check out what's going on. 

How do you manage to feed her sitting up? I just can't picture it.  

• kel716kel716 member
    imagerocknrollfriend:
    imagekel716:

It helps that she wants to sit up, and can sit unassisted for short periods of time.   Anyways, I let her sit on my leg, wrap my arm around her, and I sit up too.  Her head is about the height of my boob... so I let her sit while my boob sits in her mouth.  She eventually gets tired of looking around and I ease her into a cradle. 

• imagekel716:
    imagerocknrollfriend:
    imagekel716:

It helps that she wants to sit up, and can sit unassisted for short periods of time.   Anyways, I let her sit on my leg, wrap my arm around her, and I sit up too.  Her head is about the height of my boob... so I let her sit while my boob sits in her mouth.  She eventually gets tired of looking around and I ease her into a cradle. 

Hmm, ok, that helps, thanks! I will have to try this.  

• My LO started this around 4.5 mo and we just had to start letting her cry.  It was really hard, but she was literally getting up every 45 min.  We only had to let her cry one night and it stopped.  Now we occassionaly have issues getting her to sleep (she cries the instant we put her down), but once she goes to sleep, she stays asleep (knock on wood!).  Good luck!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"