Natural Birth

First ultrasound/Meeting my midwife!

I'll be getting my first ultrasound on Tuesday and meeting the midwives who deliver with my clinic.  This is my first pregnancy and first appointment since I found out I was pregnant.  I've looked up what I thought of initially, like perineal massage, affects of epidural and petocin (going as natural as possible).  I am coming up with questions to ask but I know I'm not thinking of all the good ones... Does anyone have any golden questions that helped them out with understanding things a little better?

I know this may be an odd request since you've gotten your answers, but if you could, just place yourself in the mindset you had in your first trimester and toss the queries you had at me.  I would appreciate it.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: First ultrasound/Meeting my midwife!

• When I had my first appointment with the midwifery I'm using, I mostly asked questions about their philosophy, transfer protocol / rate, etc. to make sure we were a good fit.  They're very big on using diet and nutrition to regulate pregnancy issues, which I appreciate since that's how I ate prior to becoming pregnant (real, whole foods).  Being able to deal with cravings and get guidance on how to maintain necessary nutrition has helped immensely and that was important to me during our consultation.  I'm open to changing my diet, taking supplements or herb blends, but prefer to avoid pharmaceuticals unless it's a last resort. 

They allow an hour for each appointment, so there is plenty of time to talk about other things that come up as my pregnancy progresses in addition to screening urine, checking BP and HB, weight and measurement.  They're also very good about asking about things I should / may be experiencing at certain weeks in my pregnancy, which usually prompts me to remember to ask about something I might otherwise have forgotten.

I meet with a different midwife / doula or assistant team each appointment so that we all get to know one another.  They are all very open-minded and williing to facilitate the pregnancy and birth experience that I anticipate.  So when I ask for their input on anything, they'll tell me pros and cons based on their experience and offer options for me to do my own research whether it's a book from their lending library, a local practitioner, etc.

Congrats on your pregnancy and HTH!

• I think it's Ina May's book that has long lists of questions to ask different care providers...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"