Baby Showers

Oh dear mother...a gem

i love my mother dearly and understand she is super excited about her first grandbaby but i wanted to share this little gem with you all.

my shower is this sunday, being hosted by DF's aunt the whole family is invited, we know the sex, everythings done. my other friend had a very small sprinkle (literally 6 people) before her baby was born since they werent finding out the sex and then had a meet the baby thing after he was born.

my mom asked me yesterday "are you going to do what S did and have another shower to get what you dont get sunday?" i about died lol im glad this was over email i kindly said "no we may do a meet the baby when she is a bit older for those who cant make it sunday but im not having another shower to get gifts" she couldnt fathom why i wouldnt want to do this.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Oh dear mother...a gem

• I know there is a lot of etiquette talk on the boards about what is proper when it comes to showers but I have noticed and maybe its a southern thing? That around here parents encourage their children to send out invites to extended family for weddings and babies. And I mean very extended family, sometimes family they have never met! They also do it for baptisms and birth announcements and its generally pushed by the older generations.  Everyone has to get an invite. It is rather crazy. I know a lady who sent out near 500 invites when she only had budget for 100 people at her wedding because her mother, grandmother, and great grandmother insisted it was the "proper" thing to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have seen my mom act like this occasionally. I think it is because my sisters and I were all older moms and her friends' daughters were young moms. She has been to every baby shower and bridal shower under the sun and now feels like it's her turn to invite her friends.

I don't think she intentionally means to be rude or tacky, I just think it's a small bit of misguided entitlement. And that she is just so excited.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMelleTX:

I have seen my mom act like this occasionally. I think it is because my sisters and I were all older moms and her friends' daughters were young moms. She has been to every baby shower and bridal shower under the sun and now feels like it's her turn to invite her friends.

I don't think she intentionally means to be rude or tacky, I just think it's a small bit of misguided entitlement. And that she is just so excited.  

Yep...I agree with this.  She was well into her 60's by the time I had my first baby so I'm thinking she went to a LOT of baby showers in her life.  She was the youngest in her family and I am the youngest in mine.  That is why I have gone to (and hosted) a buttload of baby showers (and wedding showers too!).  We invited a lot of relatives but just a couple of her friends since it was a family shower.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"