Preemies

Breastfeeding

For those of you who have had difficulty with breastfeeding, when was it that your little one got the hang of it?  Caroline will latch, but almost instantly pull away.  She was able to feed on two occasions, the longest was 6 minutes on one breast.  She absolutely will not do ANYTHING on my other breast.  The neonatologists and nurses have assured me this is normal and that she will eventually BF, but I can't help but be discouraged.  I don't think my milk supply is great, I get roughly 3-4oz everytime I pump and I'm pumping every 2-3hrs.  My biggest fear is drying up since she isn't feeding.  Not to mention it's a major pain pumping all the time!  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding

• E started to latch during his 33rd/34th week but tired quickly. He'd take some of his feeding by breast the rest by ng (we did weighed feedings). We also had to use a nipple shield and still do although he seems to be able to latch briefly without it now. Definitely try a shield. I know some people are against them bit to me it was more important that he bf than that I not use it. 

As for pumping its a pain but it will keep your supply up. It sounds like you are making a great amount! You don't want an over supply ... I have one and it sucks.  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• The LC's that I saw were not very helpful.  When she didn't latch they just said "oh well she's not going to do anything today".  They did give me a shield, but she actually did the best when I wasn't wearing it. 

This may be a dumb question, but can you exclusively pump?  For how long/will you dry up?

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • You can exclusively pump for as long as you need to.  My older DD, who wasn't a preemie, never latched and I pumped until she was 10 months old. My preemie is already liking breastfeeding more than my older DD ever did.
    DD#1, Alexa, Born 8/08; TTC # 2 since 3/2010; 8 IUI BFN; 1 cervical pregnancy in April 2011; IVF #1 Dec 2011 worked. EDD = 9/7/12. Bedrest starting 6/4/12. Julia Mae born 7/1/12, home 8/12/12. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSept30Madison:
    You can exclusively pump for as long as you need to.  My older DD, who wasn't a preemie, never latched and I pumped until she was 10 months old. My preemie is already liking breastfeeding more than my older DD ever did.

How did you increase your supply to meet your LO's needs?  Or were you one of the lucky ones that has a ton of milk ;)  I'm also wondering when I go back to work, will pumping less kill my supply?

imageimage

• imageshana+chris:

imageSept30Madison:
    You can exclusively pump for as long as you need to.  My older DD, who wasn't a preemie, never latched and I pumped until she was 10 months old. My preemie is already liking breastfeeding more than my older DD ever did.

How did you increase your supply to meet your LO's needs?  Or were you one of the lucky ones that has a ton of milk ;)  I'm also wondering when I go back to work, will pumping less kill my supply?

Right now, I pump 8 times a day and yield about 30 oz per day. I pump for 20-30 minutes per session depending on when the milk stops flowing.  

When I went back to work after my older DD, my supply did drop when I decided to stop pumping as much.   Eventually we did 1/2 breastmilk, 1/2 formula for some time and then went to all formula.

DD#1, Alexa, Born 8/08; TTC # 2 since 3/2010; 8 IUI BFN; 1 cervical pregnancy in April 2011; IVF #1 Dec 2011 worked. EDD = 9/7/12. Bedrest starting 6/4/12. Julia Mae born 7/1/12, home 8/12/12. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My DS didn't really catch on to bfing until after his due date and took about a month at home to be exclusively bfing (minus his two high cal formula bottles).  I ended up giving up even trying while he was in the NICU just so we could get him home.  I really wouldn't worry about your supply, it sounds great! Besides, I don't think my DS took anywhere near 4 ounces per feeding for quite some time (he still only takes between 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours).  If your worried that she isn't taking much in bfing you can pump after she's done-I did that in the beginning mostly so I wouldn't get plugged ducts. Good luck!
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DS was born at 36 w 0 d. He latched for the first time towards the end of his first week, but we were supplementing for quite some time because he was inconsistent. I also used a nipple shield for the first 6-8 weeks. It's really been in the last month that we have both gotten the hang of BFing, honestly. He has always loved it, which is what motivated me to keep doing it. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Remind me your LO's gestational age now?  I didn't start BFing my guys until 34 and 35 weeks.  It took them about 2-3 weeks to get it and I had to use a nipple shield to keep them latched.  I was pretty lucky to have a pretty good milk supply.  Until they came home, I continued to pump even after I BF them to keep up my supply.  Also remember it takes 6 weeks or more for you to establish your milk so supply.

I personally do not think I would have been able to EP for as long as I BF (12 months).  It IS possible to EP, but I defininetely get a LC consult. I would not have been successful without nipple shields for the first couple months.  Don't get discouraged, there is a learning curve for you both.  Hang in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"