Preemies
Options

Breastfeeding Questions

My supply started verrrrry slowly but I was always able to keep up with Virginia until she hit 24/oz a day.  She now eats about 28-30oz a day and 2 puree meals.  I breastfeed her in the morning and the evening and then have enough pumped milk for 1.5 of her 3 bottles during the day.  I just ran out of my freezer supply this month so now we are supplementing with formula.  

Is it realistic to cut out pumping and just breastfeed her twice a day?  Or will I totally dry up?   Right now I think I am producing about 20-22 oz/day.  

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

Re: Breastfeeding Questions

• Options
    I think your supply would probably take a serious hit.  I slowly went down on my pumps and nursing sessions and that's what happened.  Are you not BFing during the day because of work? 
  • Options
    thats kind of what I thought, so I probably wont attempt it until I am really ready to wean.  I have never BFd her more than 2-3 times a day because until 8-9 months we needed to fortify at least half of her bottles each day.  Now I am back to work, so Im not able to breastfeed her during the day anyway.  I cut back to 2 pumping sessions (plus the 2 x day BFing) a day last month and saw my supply drop.  Its a manageable schedule right now so I think Ill stick with it for another month at least.
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"