Blended Families

Update on the Baby Veronica story

Not sure if any of you followed this story but it's heart wrenching.

I'm just posting the update. While this example is different in that it deals w/adoption, it underscores my fear for any family that puts blind faith in the family court system or allows their family's future to be determined by a court vs. mediation and agreement.

https://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120726/PC16/120729414/1165/sc-supreme-court-says-baby-veronica-must-stay-with-biological-father

Re: Update on the Baby Veronica story

• Can you link to a background story? This is the first I've heard, but from that article I fail to see the problem. Did the dad sign over rights to the child for the adoption?
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• imagegin9874:
    Can you link to a background story? This is the first I've heard, but from that article I fail to see the problem. Did the dad sign over rights to the child for the adoption?

This. It sounds like the BM didn't want the child & didn't want the BD to have him either, so she didn't put him on the BC & gave the DD up for adoption w/o the BD's consent. The BD has rights to the child.

Are we missing something? 

• Loading the player...
  • Really sad :( how scary for that little girl to have to be moved from the only family she's known for two years
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry I had emergency yesterday and didn't get a chance to get back on until now.

Here is the back story:

https://www.saveveronica.org/veronicas-story/

• That is heartbreaking!
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• The adoption was not final.  Period.  It sucks for the adopting couple, but at four months they should have known this was trouble and turned the baby over. 
    Seriously, people. If your faith in humanity is destroyed because your parents told you there was a Santa Claus and as it turns out there is no Santa Claus, you are an ignorant, hypersensitive cry baby with absolutely zero perspective. - UnderwaterRhymes
  • If anything this gives me more faith in the family court system. Unless a parent is proven unfit their child shouldn't be able to be taken away from them for any reason. It shouldn't matter if another person/ couple appears to be more deserving or would be a better parent. If the biological father didn't want to let someone adopt his child then they shouldn't be allowed to. When he protested the adoption he should have gotten his child back then, not when she was two.

It seems like this case worked out the way it did mostly because of the child's Native American heritage. There have been many other cases where the child wasn't of Native American heritage that turned out differently and it's IMO disgusting. If a biological parent wants to parent, hasn't signed away their rights,  and they aren't unfit then they should be allowed to. Period.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If the father did not sign his rights away then that couple shouldn't have fought it.  Unless they had proof that he was a drug dealer, child molestor, or something like that then there is no reason why he shouldn't have his child.  It is sad for the adoptive parents, but a child belongs with their biological parent.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"