C-sections

Surprised by Post C-section pain in shoulder/neck.

After my C-section I got a really sore shoulder and neck.  They told me that since they opened me up for the RCS, I had gotten air into my abdominal cavity and it travels upward to find a place to release.  So basically I had air/gas trapped in my body, not in my digestive system and it had no way out.  It was like that for about 2 days until it broke apart.  Just wanted to share because it took me completely off guard.

I also came down with Bells Palsy, this is pretty rare, but PP women have a greater chance of  developing it.  From what I have read on the internet it seems to be more common in the women who have this neck shoulder pain.  Not sure if that is legitimate or not.  And I don't think the Bells Palsy is in anyway related to the c-section.  Seems like it is similar to the nerve issues that cause pregnancy induced carpel Tunnel. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Surprised by Post C-section pain in shoulder/neck.

• The neck/shoulder pain is very common after a c/s.  It's very annoying and painful and not something you want to deal with right after surgery.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is what my OB/nurses all told me.  Somehow I got really lucky with my first two C-sections and didn't get to experience this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I had it after both of mine.  It was something I didn't know before my first c/s.
  • I had the gas pains after mine and I thought I was dying!  Especially when I stood up for the first time. It seemed like it all rushed upwards and I couldn't breathe.  It was intensely painful for me, but fortunately the only real problem I had from the surgery.
  • I had it so bad in my  neck and chest I had trouble breathing.  I had it with both csections...and let me tell you I got up as fast I was able to so that didn't help me.  Only thing that helped was making sure my pain meds I got were on time and they had to up them.  

with my older daughter I had it so bad the first night that I couldn't move to hit the nurses button.  It took me an hour to move my arm.  I was so scared I thought I was going to die.  

I also have an autoimmune neuromuscular problem called Myasthenia Gravis that just adds to the breathing problems..after my csections.

That is some of the worst pain I ever experienced though.   Awful.  

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • I had the shoulder pain from another surgery where the dr puffed up my abdomen with air to make room for surgical tools.  The air travels upward when you get up and presses on nerves.  It's AWFUL. It was waaaay beyond the pain I felt recovering from c-section.  Stay on top of your pain meds for the first few days until the air is reabsorbed into your body. Mine lasted less than 12 hours and then I was totally fine.  OP'er, thanks for posting about this...It's good to know about this ahead of time so you don't panic when it happens.  Dr's should tell patients about the possibility of this before discharge. I guess that's why they send you home with Rx for drugs...you may need them!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had this gas so badly that I woke up night 2 sobbing.. I mean sobbing... uncontrollably.. It was the worst- and far worst than any of the c section pain itself. I did LOTS of walking, took some gas pills and then in the end my doctor suggested a suppository to help it move-- that is what finally got it moving out of my body.. but man.. that was by far the worst pain.. I agree-- they need to warn people about that.. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had the neck/shoulder pain after my first csect--luckily didnt have it with #2.  sorry to hear you had it too along w/BP
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I had that last time, too. It was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I had no idea what it was or what caused it. Thanks for posting!
  • I also had this with my first c section... I remember crying so hard to my husband about it, and he called the nurse and explained my pain. She more or less brushed it off saying she didnt know what it was etc... It wasnt until the following day when my aunt came in and she seen me rubbing my shoulder/neck and asked whats wrong, I explained and she confirmed for me exactly what it was... needless to say I was pi$$ed off..
  • Oh god I remember that pain...it was at its worst during the photos they came and took...I kicked everybody out of the room including the photographer. The combo of the pain and her poking DD to get her to "smile" Oh hell no...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"