Military Families

1st pregnancy & deployment

I am 10 weeks and 3 days pregnant and everything was going great, so far really no nausea or any problems and really looking forward to the whole 9 months of pregnancy with my husband then we find out last week that he is deploying. i dont think i would be so shaken up about it if i wasnt pregnant and had to do the remaining 5 months by myself but this is my first pregnancy and deployment. any suggestions on anything?

Re: 1st pregnancy & deployment

• Hi! I'm so sorry! My husband left when I was 6 weeks pregnant & didn't return until our daughter was 2 months old. It sucks. There is nothing more that can be said bout that. I focused on the arrival & took tons of pics for him & web calls with him. I tried to video tape the birth (in 2007) but things went downhill in the delivery room and they made my family turn off the camera. It's hard. Focus on the time you have left together & don't stress. You can't do anything about him leaving. My husbands been deployed 5 times, it never gets easier to say goodbye but you learn ways to cope. And your new baby is going to keep you plenty busy when it arrives! Good luck!
  • My husband also left on deployment when I was 5months and I have been trying to keep busy doing a lot of voluntary work at the base and helping a lot of other moms too. Hopefully he will be here for the birth in sept.  I would just suggust getting to know other moms that are also pregnant and keep really busy so that time can fly by.  Take lots of pics of your baby bump and record the baby heart beat to send to him.  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH left when I was 8 weeks and returned when I was 8 months.  It was hard on both of us.  Try to keep in touch as much as possible. We set a time to skype everyday which helped out a lot.  Also make sure you communicate about all the little changes.  My DH said it made him feel more involved and supportive when he listened to me complain about heart burn or finding maternity clothes.  He would have to listen to it if he were home.  I also scanned every ultrasound picture and sent it to him before I let anyone else see it.  When we found out the gender I had the tech put it in an envelope and I opened it on skype so we could find out together.  Stay busy and try to spend time with friends and family.  If you don't have any nearby try to find some support system for when you are feeling down or overwhelmed.  Hope this helped. GL

• I was a single mother while I was pregnant.  I went to a breastfeeding class and actually clicked with one of the other mothers.  She was getting out of the Army and we bonded so well.  She became one of my best friends.  Even after my PCS and her move elsewhere, we still keep in touch.  She was an amazing person to have during my pregnancy as I was alone in the matter since I was stationed in Alaska and my family was in Illinios.  We went out to eat often and shared our pregnancy stories and fears as it was the first pregnancy for both of us.  I would suggest trying to find another pregnant woman in your husband's unit.  You will have a lot in common and it makes it so much easier to have someone else with you.

I'm sorry you wont' be with your husband during your pregnancy.  Hopefully time will fly by.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"