Late Term and Child Loss

Anti Depressants - are you on them?

I'm about 7 months post loss of our twins at 18 weeks. I feel like it's getting and harder and harder for me to function. We have had two failed IVF attempts and are now taking a break. We are trying on our own and don't really want to be on any medications b/c we are TTC again but I am just so sad a lot of the time.

What are your thoughts. Let myself feel the pain and deal with it or try and go this route? 

Re: Anti Depressants - are you on them?

• My dr offered them to me but I turned them down because I knew we were going to TTC.  With that said though, are there meds that are OK to take while TTC?  I did not ask the question so I am not sure.

If you are having trouble as you mention and especially after 2 IVFs not working (which I am very sorry about - we had 1 failed IVF & an early loss with a FET so I understand), I would go on a short term medication to see if it helps you.  May you can do that along with therapy and/or yoga or acupuncture or something that will help you relax.  

I am not one to take medication if not needed, but in your case, it sounds like it may be worth a try for a little while.   

- Leslie

~ Mommy to Aaron, 21 months and to our angel, Ethan James, born sleeping at 18w on 6/15/12. 

• MeggM1MeggM1 member

I saw a counselor from about a month post loss (and over a year later I still see her twice a month) and at the two month mark I begged to go on anti-depressants and she said she didn't recommend it, she wanted me to really grieve and feel my loss, and the anti depressants might mask that. As hard as it was to agree with her rationale made sense.  However, at around nine months after my loss I had some really low lows. Since I was thankfully under the regular care of a counselor that at this point knew me very well, she recognized that this wasn't grief, but depression.

I went on Zoloft in February, and chose Zoloft because I was still breastfeeding my son. We got pregnant again in May, and I stayed on the Zoloft until June when we saw the baby's heartbeat. My OB and my psychiatrist both supported me staying on it, but I felt it would worsen my anxiety about the baby's development. There are some days I wish I was still on it, but for me I think it's for the best.

I would recommend seeing a therapist if you aren't already (i think i remembered a post from another thread that may have been you, that you had found a counselor with experience in ivf) and having them help with a long term support system in addition to seeing a psychiatrist to prescribe meds. That's really helped me. I'm so sorry for your losses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"