Adoption
Options

Holly Madison

Is planning to adopt internationally.  I personally am almost always a fan of a celebrity adopting, because it means one less orphan in the world.  Except she is doing magazine articles saying she is " in process to adopt from either Africa or South Korea.". Um, South Korea is only open to married couples- married at least three years.  It would be different I guess if she said she was really interested, but "in-process" to adopt from a country that is not open to her makes no sense.  I can only guess that her agency has a lot of educating to do...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holly Madison

• Options

Is it weird of me to get a little irritated when people treat Africa like it's one country, instead of a continent full of different countries?

Uganda and Ethiopia and Tunisia and Egypt and South Africa are all African countries and all TOTALLY different. I mean, duh, people. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Options
    imagesrmmm09:

Is it weird of me to get a little irritated when people treat Africa like it's one country, instead of a continent full of different countries?

Uganda and Ethiopia and Tunisia and Egypt and South Africa are all African countries and all TOTALLY different. I mean, duh, people. 

I totally agree.   

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    From time to time, countries lift some of their rules for certain applicants.  The obvious and most famous case is Madonna's adoptions, but I've seen and heard it done for non-celebrities, too, especially if they are working with a long-established agency or can garner other impressive credentials.  It wouldn't surprise me if she's under the impression that the rules won't be applied to her, nor would it mean that she's necessarily planning to side-step the whole process just gecause of who she is.  There's often an appeals process by which applicants can request exemption from particular rules.
  • Options
    imagesrmmm09:

Agree.   

• Options

imageCaptainSerious:
    From time to time, countries lift some of their rules for certain applicants.  The obvious and most famous case is Madonna's adoptions, but I've seen and heard it done for non-celebrities, too, especially if they are working with a long-established agency or can garner other impressive credentials.  It wouldn't surprise me if she's under the impression that the rules won't be applied to her, nor would it mean that she's necessarily planning to side-step the whole process just gecause of who she is.  There's often an appeals process by which applicants can request exemption from particular rules.

While this is true for some countries, South Korea is not one of those countries.  I do know you can appeal for exemption on eligibility criteria such as minor arrest history or number of children already in the home, the marriage requirement is one they do not break.  South Korea is most lenient with PAPs with Korean heritage, which she is not. 

• Options
    imageRobby6:

imageCaptainSerious:

While this is true for some countries, South Korea is not one of those countries.  I do know you can appeal for exemption on eligibility criteria such as minor arrest history or number of children already in the home, the marriage requirement is one they do not break.  South Korea is most lenient with PAPs with Korean heritage, which she is not. 

Now that South Korea is centralizing its adoptions and finalizing in country, there will be no more waviers, from what I'm hearing. Not for age or family size--and I've never heard of one for marriage. Girlfriend is smoking something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"