2nd Trimester

Possible Pregnancy Sciatica/Piriformis Syndrome - HELP!

So at around 13 weeks I strained my piriformis muscle in a prenatal yoga class, and despite attempts at PT and acupuncture treatment, the pain seems to just be getting worse and more consistent.  (The acupuncture really aggravated the injury - which was pretty unfortunate b/c I've always had good luck with it). 

I am now at 24 weeks (more than 10 weeks after hurting myself) and I have an almost constant dull ache in my bum/hip, and sometimes shooting pain down my leg (to about my knee) and in the morning I get pins & needles in my feet, especially the side of the affected muscle. It is difficult to walk around and do the things I need to in order to "be normal"  

I have a routine of arnica (both oral & gel) that seems to help a little. And I take Tylenol if it's really bad. I also sleep with a body pillow, which doesn't seem to relieve anything but I do sleep better with it.  I'm so nervous that it won't go away after I have the baby... and that something is really wrong. Not sure if my Piriformis injury turned into Pregnancy Sciatica, or maybe the hormones have just prevented the muscle from healing and it's putting pressure on my nerves. Whatever is going on it's really frustrating b/c I'm normally a very active person!  

Does anyone out there have similar  symptoms? Did you find any relief? How long after birth (if you are there yet) does it take to go away? 

Re: Possible Pregnancy Sciatica/Piriformis Syndrome - HELP!

• I had that dull ache, almost like a charley horse pain at times,  with DS. I couldn't sleep on my right side for the constant aching. When it got real bad it was awful just to walk. Well it's sort of bothered me off and on even after I delivered him. And here it is already affecting me again at 13 weeks!!! Have you tried the chiropractor? it'll help alleviate but won't take it away...at least in my case. Good luck!

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • Chiropractic care is really helpful for sciatica pain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Loading the player...
  • Wow - that's totally weird because mine came on at about 13 weeks.  My PT kept telling me it had nothing to do with the pregnancy... but I think he was wrong. 

At least if it comes one after childbirth I can take ibuprofen for it!  I just don't want to give up hiking, long walks, and riding.... Can't really do the dishes at this point. 

I'm a little afraid of Chiro's... I've had a bad experience and I guess I never got over it. Maybe it's worth looking into tho...

Thanks!  

• Chiropractor and/or massage. It is probably not sciatica, it's probably sacral-iliac joint related. I have the same symptoms & that's what my chiro said.
  • I have also had this pain in the past and it is terrible.  On the bad days I would use tylenol too, but stretching worked best for me.  If you google sciatica or piriformis stretches you will find a number of ways to help you feel better.  I also found it hurt more when I WASN'T active, so working through it and getting some exercise may help you too.  Good luck.  Really give the stretches a try!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had never had sciatica pain until this pregnancy.....now I know why people say its so painful. It really is a pain in the ass. ;)

I haven't really found anything that helps me with the pain, but if it gets worse I was going to try going to the chiropractor to see if it helps.

Also....I don't mean to scare you but my mom is a real believer in Arnica and told me to try it, but when I looked it up it looks like its a no no during pregnancy.  Heres the site.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_traditional-hispanic-herbal-remedies-to-avoid-during-pregnan_3653755.bc

photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• Thanks for the Arnica info! My doctor said it was okay tho, so I'm not too worried.  I decided to ask her because I found so many conflicting information about Arnica on the web... I think I found that site, but I also found tons that said it was fine. 

I think it's bad if you take the actual herb/plant... but the little pills and lotion I found even doulas give it to their clients...  

Thanks for the insight, tho!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"