March 2012 Moms
Options

Baby has a cold =(

Definitely going to call pedi this morning, but have any of your LOs experienced a cold yet?

Any home remedies you've tried or recommend? Poor baby is really congested and coughing, this all started last night.

I had humidifier on in room all night, seemed to help little.  But I feel like I can't get all the mucus out of his nose with the nasal suction. And he definitely does not want to drink milk, takes 2 oz at a time, he used to drink 6oz.

Poor baby I feel so bad for him! 

thanks in advance!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Baby has a cold =(

• Options
    kel716kel716 member

Keep the humidifier going, know that his appetite may be decreased but it will pick back up.  Keeping him more upright as often as possible will help with drainage. 

If he has a fever, you can give him some tylenol. 

The other thing that may be really helpful is the Nosefrida.  It sounds disgusting, but it's amazing. 

https://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343222452&sr=8-1&keywords=nosefrida

• Options

The nosefrida is supposed to be the bomb, but we just have a regular one and it works fine... the trick is to only use them once the mucous us loose, and they have a runny nose. If they're just plugged up, it won't work and you can actually cause damage and pain. 

Using the humidity from a hot shower has worked wonders for us - I either leave her in a bouncy seat right outside the shower while I wash myself, or bring her in with me.

Sleeping with their head raised (folded blankets under their crib sheet) helps them get more sleep too.

I've heard breastmilk up the nose helps with congestion, but I could never figure out how to get it up there, haha. :P

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!

I just bought the nose saline drops, so going to try those tonight. And my cousins, mom, aunts swear by baby vicks rub on bototm of feet....so going to try that too =)

just hate seeing him so uncomfortable, and over the weekend he wasn't eating well because of teething, and now he is really not eating well because he's all congested.

The folded blankets under crib sheet..GREAT IDEA! =) My dad (who watches him) said he took naps in swing or bouncy seat, but whenever he layed him in crib he woke up...so I am definitely going to try the folder blankets! thanks again! hope he feels better soon!!

• Options
    The decreased appetite could be from an ear infection. My LO was doing the same thing....only eating 2 oz when she normally eats 6. Turns out she had double ear infections and swallowing was hurting her ears. Might want to get them checked out so if that's the case antibiotics can be started ASAP. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Yes..i was worried about him having an ear infection.Dh took him to pedi yesterday...no ear infectionBut a small cold...so we just goin to let it runIts coarse. If he still sick by saturday..pedi saidTo start antibotics. Hes doin a bit better...But not sttn..and super crabby at night. All we doIs carry him...because it makes him feel better.Hope this passes thru fast.Thanks for advice everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"