Detroit Babies

Talk to me about PreSchool

My son is about to be 3.  Do I start looking at pre-schools?  We live downriver in the Gibralter School District.  He is with family for day care now.  I think the structured environment will be good for him.  Where do I start?

Re: Talk to me about PreSchool

• In general, I would be looking for a daycare with a structured environment.  At age 3, even up to Kindergarten, the children learn best through "play" meaning songs, games, etc.  Since he is currently at home with family, I would try to find a place that is a daycare that also has a Pre-School curriculum for 4 year-olds.  This way, you won't have to move him.  In other words, some day cares may take children at age 4, but they may not necessariy be teaching in an environment that is the best to get your child ready for Kindergarten.  By finding a good daycare/Pre-K facility,your child will have a smooth transition.

Another benefit is that daycare centers usually offer "full day" options whereas Preschools may only offer 1/2 day options a few times a week.  It gets a little more expensive because then you have to fill in the time with latch-key care which gets expensive.  Compare that to a center  that offers daycare/Pre-K.  They are open all day no matter what so your weekly price is usually includable.

• You can start by looking at what your public school district offers.  Also a lot of parochial(Catholic, Lutheran) schools offer preschool programs too.  Monetessori schools is also an option.  Your cheapest options will most likely be public and parochial school preschool programs.  Most of these schools' registration has already taken place so if you are interested in starting this September you might want to start making some phone calls.  I feel at age 3 children should be socialized in a classroom setting, 2 days/week for a couple hours each day is sufficient.

I sent my kids to preschool starting at age 3, since I was a stay at home mom I just sent them for 2 days/week for 2.5 hours per day.  Then at 4 years old is was 3 days/week for 2.5 hours/day.  They attended a preschool program in a Parochial school. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"