March 2012 Moms

Vaccines ?

I know this is a controversial topic, and in no way am I wanting to start a war lol but the more I read about vaccines, the more Im leaning on waiting on any further vaccines until DD is at least 2, or to not vaccinate anymore all together. (DD did get 2 month and 4 month shots)

For those of you who have chosen to not vaccinate, if you wouldnt mind, would you share with me some reasons why? How did your doc react? are there some "safe" vaccines?

I keep getting contradicting info online, so if you would like to share a trusted website I would appreciate it :)

Thanks ladies!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vaccines ?

• All vaccines are safe. Get your kid vaccinated. You've already started. And step away from Dr. Google and speak to YOUR CHILD'S PEDIATRICIAN and not a bunch of internet strangers. I am going with what the CDC recommends because him being in pain for a day (which he wasn't even the least bit affected by the 4 month shots) is better than him coming down with a life threatening disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kteknektekne member
    imagemrscjmb9410:

if you've already started the vax cycle for dtap etc and you are missing the third shot in the series and you decide to stop until your LO is older, the whole series will have to be started again.

we are on a delayed schedule that i made up myself. our nurse isn't thrilled about it and always points out that he is behind and 'not protected'! pedi isn't bothered though, she said we needed to make our own choices and gave me some info and that was it.

check dr sears vaccine book. i'd be wary of a lot of internet propaganda on vaccines as it's scaremongering both for vax and against. 

Agree with this.

We also do delayed.  I basically split the shots in half for example DS got the dtap and hib at his 2 month appointment then I went back in 4 weeks and got the polio and rotovirus vaccines.  I did the same thing with DD.  I just make sure I keep up with it and their pedi has been ok with this.

• Loading the player...
  • salt78salt78 member

imageHalloweenWife:
    All vaccines are safe. Get your kid vaccinated. You've already started. And step away from Dr. Google and speak to YOUR CHILD'S PEDIATRICIAN and not a bunch of internet strangers. I am going with what the CDC recommends because him being in pain for a day (which he wasn't even the least bit affected by the 4 month shots) is better than him coming down with a life threatening disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine.

This this this this this. 

Have a read.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagektekne:

Agree with this.

We also do delayed.  I basically split the shots in half for example DS got the dtap and hib at his 2 month appointment then I went back in 4 weeks and got the polio and rotovirus vaccines.  I did the same thing with DD.  I just make sure I keep up with it and their pedi has been ok with this.

This is what a friend of mine does/did with both of her kids. She mostly did it in case of allergic reaction.

I personally am not doing a delayed schedule but don't have a problem with it at all. It is still safe. The only thing I would speak against would be not doing them at all. If you kid is ever going to be in school or in public, that is more unsafe.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Embarrassedwe space out all of our shots. Only 2 a month or whatever the schedule is. we have done that since day one!  I am not one to buy into the whole vaccines thing, nor do I do the "flu shots" either. I use to work in the med industry and honestly do question the motives in pushing drugs ...lol ok..sorry im on my soapbox! Embarrassed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • imageHalloweenWife:
    All vaccines are safe. Get your kid vaccinated. You've already started. And step away from Dr. Google and speak to YOUR CHILD'S PEDIATRICIAN and not a bunch of internet strangers. I am going with what the CDC recommends because him being in pain for a day (which he wasn't even the least bit affected by the 4 month shots) is better than him coming down with a life threatening disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine.

Ditto.

And also, getting your child vaccinated is helping those people out there who aren't able to get vaccines. It's called protecting the herd. The more healthy individuals who receive timely vaccines protect others who can't, like newborns, who are too young. It says right on the CDC website that in 2010, ten babies who were too young to receive the vaccine died of whooping cough after contracting the disease (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/fs-parents.html)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrscjmb9410:

if you've already started the vax cycle for dtap etc and you are missing the third shot in the series and you decide to stop until your LO is older, the whole series will have to be started again.

we are on a delayed schedule that i made up myself. our nurse isn't thrilled about it and always points out that he is behind and 'not protected'! pedi isn't bothered though, she said we needed to make our own choices and gave me some info and that was it.

check dr sears vaccine book. i'd be wary of a lot of internet propaganda on vaccines as it's scaremongering both for vax and against. 

Good point thanks! I will deff check out his book. Thanks for responding! 

• There is also a chart somewhere online, I forget where, that has the recommendation for a delayed schedule too. If I ever find it again (was bookmarked on the old computer that died) I will post it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• We have chosen to wait on Vaccinating. In no way are we 'anti vaccine', however, we do feel that waiting is the right thing to do for us. Her Dr. wasnt in any way thrilled by my choice and really encouraged me to do some research etc. but in the end if fine with our decision to wait. I agree with the previous post re:Dr Sears.
  • We are waiting to vaccinate until he's a little older.  I think it's a personal choice and there are lots of pros and cons to either way.  Our doctor is probably different than most of the ped's out there.  She only believes that 3 of them are really important to get, and the other one's if for some reason your child gets their chances are very slim that it would cause life threatening symptoms.  Of coarse you should check with pedi, because some practices won't let you in if you aren't following CDC schedule.  I do agree with pp that if you've already started you might as well finish the one's that need all three to work.  It's a very tough choice and I in no way take it lightly that my son doesn't have any vaccines yet.  It's a very personal choice.  GL
  • A 7 week old died from Pertussis in my city the other day--he contracted pertussis from a non-vaccinated individual a few weeks before he was eligible to receive his pertussis vaccine.  Don't trust the internet for your information re: vaccine safety. 

I would advise you to look at what your pediatricians are doing/have done with their own children--the people that they love more than anything else in the world!  My husband is a board-licensed pediatrician, and he, without even a moment's pause, said we were absolutely, 100% going to vaccinate our baby.  She has received every vaccination on the recommended schedule--no delays.  He works at the Children's Hospital and has seen kids die or have serious, life-changing disabilities (measles can cause deafness, mumps can cause sterility, pertussis can cause death or a lifetime of reduced lung capacity, tetanus almost always causes a horribly painful death, etc.) due to contracting an illness that could have been prevented by vaccination.  In those circumstances, those children's parents are so filled with regrets that they could have prevented those illnesses but chose not to for their "own" reasons (disregarding their pedi's advice). 

Until you have seen the damage that these viruses/bacterias can cause first hand, you cannot make an educated decision about how you would feel if you chose to forego the vaccine and then your child contracted one of these illnesses.  You are making such an important decision for your child (and one that he/she cannot yet make for him/herself). Act as a good steward for your child's future health and future potential, and please discuss your concerns with educated individuals before denying your child such basic health protections!

And just FYI--doctors offices LOSE money on administering vaccines.  At least in our state, doctors lose approximately $10-12 on each round of early childhood vaccines.  They actually would profit more if your child was not vaccinated, and would profit even more on top of that if your child got some horrible illness that took a long time to treat!  BUT, because they are educated and care more about your child's health than their profits, they recommend that you vaccinate your child and avoid these horrible illnesses altogther.

• imageHalloweenWife:

This, this this!!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHalloweenWife:

This exactly.  You don't want to be the one responsible for your child getting some horrible disease that is totally preventable.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Honestly why is this such an issue for everyone?? Unless you're a board educated doctor why do people think they know better. The way it was explained to me was to do it. We have some many unvaccinated people migrated to this country bringing diseases we as patents are most likely protected against. I know I couldn't live with myself if I were protected and my child was not. My doctor also told me by spacing the series out just stresses the body more than necessary. Just had to add my two cents. Not looking to cause drama. 
  • We do 2 at a time, every 4 weeks.  My pedi was totally fine with this and it's actually his schedule.  We did a combo shot (dTAP, hepB, and polio) and Roto at 2 and 4 months.  At 3 and then next month at 5, we do Prevnar and Hib.  So at any given time we're no more than 4 weeks behind.  Oh and I didn't give hep in the hospital so I guess technically we're behind since he's only had 2 of them.

I own a preschool and my son comes with me some so it was important that I vaccinate but he's also small and so I don't like overloading his system.

My sister delayed all vacs until my niece was 6 months (so she never had Roto at all) and then has only done them sporadically since.  She's not super educated on it and that's the part that bothers me.  I have always said it's fine to space them out or even delay them but just have some sort of a schedule.  And it proved true when she took her in last week for shots and ended up giving her hep A rather than hep B.  Hep A is always optional.  She needs hep B.

Anyway, you have to do what you're comfortable with and know your risks.  Dr. Sears is probably the most popular on vaccinations.  Just make sure you're making an informed decision either way.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"