Food Allergy

Mspi may contain traces.....

I'm new to this mspi as dd was diagnosed last week. She is 10 weeks and has been having green poops since 6 weeks. 

When it says may contain traces of milk or may contain soy at the bottom of an ingredient list is this ok to eat? None of the ingredients list milk or soy so I'm assuming the companies are just covering their butts. Is this true?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Mspi may contain traces.....

• Right now the goal is to get it all out of her system  and get her some relief --- so I would say no, it's not safe to eat anything that may have "traces" dairy in it.

It could take up to a month before her system is clear of any dairy from your diet and once that happens then you will be able to see if "traces" affect her.  It does not affect all - but my DD was def. affected by anything that simply contained traces of dairy... but she has an allergy not an intolerance.

Good luck.  I would just try and stay clear of all that for now and see how things go later on once she has cleared up.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • how do you know its an allergy and not an intollerance
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemelandbri:
    how do you know its an allergy and not an intollerance

They present pretty much the same for the most part.  But DD also had blood in her stool - she had classic eczema resulting from the allergy.  Pedi sent us to an allergist and they did a skin scratch test for her.  the stratched her back with several common environmental allergins in addition to soy and milk.  She tested positive for diary only.

I do wish we tested for other foods becuase even after eliminating dairy from my diet she was still reacting badly.  She is now on alimentum.  She is still struggling with her eczema but she no longer as blood in her diaper.   

I have heard of some babies getting relief within 2 weeks.  Just read every single label and look for hidden dairy (casien for example).  Even some cosmetics have dairy (some hair pomade I was using for her has a diary derivative in it for some odd reason). 

Both an intolerance and an allergy can be grown out of, by the way.  The difference between the two is that an allergy involves the immune system - an itolerance does not.

• thanks for the reply,

Can you recommend a good list of things to look for on labels to make sure im avoiding all dairy and soy?

• imagemelandbri:

thanks for the reply,

Can you recommend a good list of things to look for on labels to make sure im avoiding all dairy and soy?

No problem.  I hope you have better luck than I did with your elimination diet.  It's really hard - but so worth.  You have to do a lot of label reading and eating from home a lot also.  DD's allergies go beyond (we suspect) milk and soy, unfortunately. I would always suspect something has dairy or soy (soy is harder) if it's processed.  

https://www.godairyfree.org/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/Hidden-Dairy.html

https://dairyandsoyfreemama.wordpress.com/tag/hidden-soy-ingredients/

Good luck!

ETA:  Also - check out FAAN's website. 

https://www.foodallergy.org/page/milk-allergy

• I agree with the PP.  Eliminate all and then see if she can tolerate it.  DS can tolerate "may contain traces." 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"