Food Allergy
Options

Does your child know about their allergies?

And if so, at what age did you start teaching them about their allergies? DD1 is allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs and up until now, we haven't talked with her about her allergies. I think she's at the age where we can and should start teaching her about them. When we're out to eat, for example, she'll see her aunt/uncle/grandparent eating eggs or something else she can't have and she'll ask to have some. When that happens, I usually just say, "Oh, that's Uncle Joe's food, this is your food." That usually works, but sometimes she'll try to reach for food that she is allergic to. It's particularly concerning b/c her allergies are contact allergies.

How do you teach your child about their allergies without making them afraid of food or making them feel different?

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
MSPI Moms Check-In Blog

Re: Does your child know about their allergies?

• Options
    Jen748Jen748 member
    We started teaching DD when we found out which was just after her 2nd birthday. Now she will tell you, I'm allergic to peanuts...they make me sick.
  • Options
    DS turned 2 in May.  He can tell you I am allergic to eggs and peanuts and he shows his allergy bracelet.  He will also say they give him a big boo boo.  We have a few books about allergies ( a bit over his head) but great for DS #1 to understand better. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MY 3.5 year old had not had a reaction in 2 years, but can tell anyone who asks what he is allergic to and how he has to avoid it.  He went to the grocery store with my mother and asked her about every food she put in the cart LOL.  He also made the announcement to my in-laws that he was allergic to cats when they let theirs into the one room of the house that he does okay in.  He doesn't seem worried, just informative.  I am loving his attitude about it right now.  We started as soon as we thought he would understand...maybe 2ish and we have a bunch of books and we talk about it everyday in some way.  Plus he loves his Allerbling bracelet. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

I started talking about safe and unsafe foods really early on.  My guys really like the book Bugabees.  It helps get the concept across in a non-scary way.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Bugabees-Friends-With-Allergies/dp/1592982794 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    we have been teaching him since he turned 2 (will turn 3 early october).  now he pretty much knows what he is allergic to and will comment on it all the time.  if he is eating a new food, he always asks if it is something he is allergic to.  he knows so well that if we try to give him a chocolate treat with dark chocolate/cocoa powder but no milk (alergies = milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts) he will tell us he cant eat it cause he's allergic to chocolate! i would say taht 2 1/2 years is definitely not too early to start teaching
    DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

I started talking about safe and unsafe foods really early on.  My guys really like the book Bugabees.  It helps get the concept across in a non-scary way.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Bugabees-Friends-With-Allergies/dp/1592982794 

My son LOVES this book too!  We would just say that has ___ in it & it will hurt your belly...but you can have ___ instead

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    abs05abs05 member

My daughter is still too young to really get it, but I explain to her anyways why she can't have certain foods she wants.  Once she becomes more verbal we'll talk about it more.

I'll have to check out the book rec!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD picked it up really young.  SIL told me once that she asked her if something had milk in it.  DS wasn't really conscious of it until closer to 5.  That's when he made the connection that certain foods make him feel sick.  Now when he asks for something I can tell him it has dairy and he will chose not to eat it b/c it will make him sick. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"