Special Needs
Options

Diagnosis of SPD?

I suspect my daughter has SPD as we have been told she has sensory issues (by therapists and neuro-developmental pedi), and from the reading I have done, it seems to fit.

My question is at what age and who makes this diagnosis? I guess it is not the SPD diagnosis I am anxious for, just wondering what type of professional might be able to give us more insight into what aspect of SPD my daughter is having difficulty with?  I can't seem to pinpoint it on my own from reading, it seems like she could fit into many different areas. Also - Is the type of therapy / treatment affected by the specific areas she is difficulty processing (I suspect she has some vestibular problems and she seems to be mostly hypo-sensitive or sensory seeking, but it is all confusing to me still).

Our insurance won't cover an OT, and we can't afford to pay out of pocket. We have Early Intervention, but we only get a PT (once weekly). There is a workshop for kids with SPD at a private therapy practice in town, but I didn't know if we should wait until she is a little older or we for sure have a diagnosis before doing that, it is a little more affordable since it would be a one time thing rather than on-going therapy.

Re: Diagnosis of SPD?

• Options
    My son was diagnosed with it at 2 by an OT. I'm surprised that EI will not give you an OT referral if they suspect she has sensory issues. I would question your EI service coordinator on that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EI in Michigan seems to be a bit different, they give us one therapist (PT) who is supposed to touch on all areas, but they flat out told us that because they are part of the school district special education, their focus is really education readiness, they do not provide the same therapy that out-patient OT would I guess.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekballou:
    EI in Michigan seems to be a bit different, they give us one therapist (PT) who is supposed to touch on all areas, but they flat out told us that because they are part of the school district special education, their focus is really education readiness, they do not provide the same therapy that out-patient OT would I guess.

In that case, you could look into an evaluation, see what the waitlist is like, how much it would cost, etc.  It can't hurt to have a better idea of what's going on with her. 

My older DD was diagnosed with SPD recently, and we were on the wait list for over 6 months before we were able to have her evaluated with an OT.  Then we had another 6 weeks before we could even get in for her first therapy appointment.  We're opting to pay out of pocket because I feel therapy will really help her.  I might have to get a part-time job to help cover the cost--we'll see. 

• Options
    imagemrszee2b:

imagekballou:

In that case, you could look into an evaluation, see what the waitlist is like, how much it would cost, etc.  It can't hurt to have a better idea of what's going on with her. 

My older DD was diagnosed with SPD recently, and we were on the wait list for over 6 months before we were able to have her evaluated with an OT.  Then we had another 6 weeks before we could even get in for her first therapy appointment.  We're opting to pay out of pocket because I feel therapy will really help her.  I might have to get a part-time job to help cover the cost--we'll see. 

You're right, and when I think about it the cost of OT once a week is the same as daycare if we had a second child, I guess we just need to re-do our budget and make it work 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"