January 2012 Moms
Options

former jan 2012 mom question: please rec. your cloth diapers & accessories :)

Hi ladies!! Former Jan 2012 mom here...my sister just had her adorable baby boy sat (I am SO in love) and wants to use cloth diapers soon....I also want to use them in the future.....can you please recommend which you like, accessories you love for them (cleaning, storage etc) as well as any tips for using them?? Thank you!!

::waves to all the cute babies:: :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: former jan 2012 mom question: please rec. your cloth diapers & accessories :)

• Options

We use BumGenius 4.0s and love them :)  We risked it with one kind and it worked for us!  We have 25 diapers, but could go with less if we needed to.  It was the best combination of easy and low cost for us.  We've never had a blowout, and you only need one size from about one month through toddler.  I recommend snaps instead of aplix (velcro)- they hold up better.

As far as accessories go, we use a Fuzzibunz hanging wet bag.  Just unzip the bottom, dump the diapers in the wash, and put the bag in with them!  We have two of them.  We also have a diaper sprayer for when his poop gets solid.  We also have 2 Planetwise wet bags to store dirty diapers when we're out & about.

We use Nellie's laundry soda as detergent, and I cut up some fleece liners so I could use whatever rash cream I want.  

You'll probably get more answers if you post on the Cloth Diaper board- or just lurk around it for awhile :) 

Here's a good website to help you get started with your research:

https://jilliansdrawers.com/resources 

Anniversary

• Options

We also did a diaper trial (ours from Modern Cloth).  We did 2 months with a diaper service using prefolds, then transitioned to pockets and AIOs.  I've heard that newborns are their own separate animal for CDing, so you might want to consider a different approach for the newborn stage.  Prefolds were perfect for us until she started consolidating her poops - then we never mastered a fold that would keep the poop in.  

Good luck! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageFarmBoysWife:

This is why we need a CD support group. I figured a cold/cold or warm/cold was all you could do.. never thought about cold/warm.. Do you have any issues with stiffies?

I can speak for anything less than 4/5 months, but since converting to the dark side I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my prefolds and Fuzzy Bunz pockets.
    DH likes the Bun Genius,  Nanny likes the BG as well. I like the AOI's but dry times would not work in VT. 

We have one...it's called the "Cloth Diapering" board :) 

Anniversary

• Options

read the faq's at the top of the cd board before asking any q's there and you should be fine.

image. image. image.
  • Options

I have a lot of luck with osocozy prefolds and flip covers.  Some accessories would include snappis, CD safe rash cream (or plain old coconut oil), and CD safe detergent.

I have a link in my siggy to a cheat sheet I posted on the cloth diapering board.  The tips there may help your sister although I'll add the disclaimer that the tips come from my own experience with cloth diapers and may not work for everyone.

Congrats on becoming an auntie!

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    imageFarmBoysWife:
    imagemeg_2006:
    imageFarmBoysWife:

This is why we need a CD support group. I figured a cold/cold or warm/cold was all you could do.. never thought about cold/warm.. Do you have any issues with stiffies?

I can speak for anything less than 4/5 months, but since converting to the dark side I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my prefolds and Fuzzy Bunz pockets.
    DH likes the Bun Genius,  Nanny likes the BG as well. I like the AOI's but dry times would not work in VT. 

We have one...it's called the "Cloth Diapering" board :) 

but I like the January ladies better? and I feel less stupid with them.. They're kinda intimidating! 

We have enough cloth diapering mamas where we could probably discuss CDs here.  Maybe we can have a weekly CD post, perhaps on Monday since Monday Moans doesn't seem to appear anymore.
  • Options
    What do you ladies do for night time? We've been doing disposables the past couples weeks because he pees like crazy and was waking up multiple times a night in wet pjs and PISSED! We do BG 4.0s or GroVia during the day wih no problems but they're a no go at night. I tried hemp doublers in the 4.0s no luck there either...
  • Options
    I use pockets at night with 2 thirsties hemp inserts.  I make sure the pocket is tight on him so he doesn't leak.  Some nights the inserts get soaked, others they're only half saturated.  But we don't have leaks unless it isn't put on tight enough.
  • Options

imageJayhawk08:
    What do you ladies do for night time? We've been doing disposables the past couples weeks because he pees like crazy and was waking up multiple times a night in wet pjs and PISSED! We do BG 4.0s or GroVia during the day wih no problems but they're a no go at night. I tried hemp doublers in the 4.0s no luck there either...

I add the newborn insert the BGs came with 

Anniversary

• Options

imageJayhawk08:

I do a BG 4.0 or Rumparooz with a large Thirsties hemp insert added. She's a super soaker and that has done the trick most nights. She'll wear it for 12+ hours and has only leaked twice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hi Lovin! So happy for you!

I don't really have much else to contribute. I love the FAQ on the CD board. I mainly just wanted to say hi!

Jess and Michael Married 10/2006
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any recs just wanted to say hi!!!!! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemeg_2006:

imageJayhawk08:

We had been doing the stay dry, a newborn and a baby kicks hemp doubler and it would all be totally soaked. That stuffing is so big and stiff the kid can't move, we can't ge it any tighter and it still leaks. I dunno, super frustrating! 

• Options
    imageJayhawk08:
    imagemeg_2006:

imageJayhawk08:

We had been doing the stay dry, a newborn and a baby kicks hemp doubler and it would all be totally soaked. That stuffing is so big and stiff the kid can't move, we can't ge it any tighter and it still leaks. I dunno, super frustrating! 

Have you tried using a prefold inside the pocket?  works for us for 12 hrs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We love our BumGenius 4.0s.  We prefer snaps at home but send aplix to daycare and for grandparents/babysitters.  We also really like our PlanetWise pail liners and wetbags.  We probably have about 25ish BGs - enough to wash every other day and let hang dry the third day.

We wash in Tiny Bubbles.  We originally used Rockin' Green but it irritated DD's skin.  Funk Rock is awesome though for getting rid of ammonia build up.   

We use fitteds and covers at night.  DD pees out of pockets overnight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"