March 2012 Moms

Eating Habits-loss of appetite?

Anyone experiencing their LOs all of a sudden having a loss in appetite?

DS, is definitely teething.....so I am wondering if that is causing a change in eating habits.  He likes to chew on the bottle nipple instead of drinking!

But we also switched from the instant liquid formula to powder, so I am wondering if maybe that could be causing it as well.  I am really not sure. So DH bought some instant liquid formula today, to see how eats.

He's eating his solids just fine..oatmeal cereal for Bfast and veggie for dinner. But the amount he is drinking is less, and his feedings are all over the place.  He was on a nice schedule 5-6oz every 3.5hrs, and STTN. And now sometimes he will drink 2oz, 3oz, 4oz..maybe one bottle he will actually drink entire 6oz. and no longer STTN.

I have been keeping detailed track of his feedings, diapers, and sleep patterns, since Saturday, continuing it today, and see if anything changes.

Just curious if anyone has experienced this, and if it is something that will pass. Definitely think if he is not getting enough liquids going to take him to pedi tomorrow.

thanks in advance fo any advice! =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Eating Habits-loss of appetite?

• We're going through the same thing. He's only taking half a bottle at a time if we're lucky. With him, I can actually see where his gums are swelling and he has 2 teeth ready to pop so I know he's really uncomfortable, poor kid. The sucking makes it worse so I've attributed the slowdown in eating to that. I try to put the bottle down when he starts refusing, play with him a little and give him a wet washcloth to munch on for a few minutes and then we go back to the bottle. He still doesn't finish it but he usually takes another ounce or so. If it's just us at home, I've started mixing up 2 ounces at a time and let him eat as often as he wants. He hasn't been into solids yet but I'm thinking of trying again tonight just to spare him a little sucking on the bottle. I hate teething.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageeyenigh:
    We're going through the same thing. He's only taking half a bottle at a time if we're lucky. With him, I can actually see where his gums are swelling and he has 2 teeth ready to pop so I know he's really uncomfortable, poor kid. The sucking makes it worse so I've attributed the slowdown in eating to that. I try to put the bottle down when he starts refusing, play with him a little and give him a wet washcloth to munch on for a few minutes and then we go back to the bottle. He still doesn't finish it but he usually takes another ounce or so. If it's just us at home, I've started mixing up 2 ounces at a time and let him eat as often as he wants. He hasn't been into solids yet but I'm thinking of trying again tonight just to spare him a little sucking on the bottle. I hate teething.

He will only take cereal and veggies if I thin it out alot with formula. But he eats it all, and there's about 1oz on formula i use to mix, so he's getting some liquid in that form.  But he defintiely biting on the spoon.  Teething does suck! he had fever friday night..that was not fun at all =(

• Loading the player...
  • How thin do you make the cereal? I'm wondering if I made it too thin the first time. I feel like my pedi may have said around the consistency of applesauce but I followed the directions on the box and it came out really watery. I now can't remember if I read the applesauce thing on someone else's post or if it was actually MY doctor that said it.

• I dont really measure, unfortunately, but the applesauce consistancy was to thick for him, and the directions on the box was to watery. So I do a trial and error; so less thick than applesauce, but not super watery...sorry does that make sense?
  • WipzWipz member
    Our lil guys appetite dropped too.. we put it down to heat and teething .. he seems happy enough so we're not worried and some days he eats more than others... last night he coulda drained a swimming pool dry .. my poor ( * ) ( * )'s felt like a shredder attacked them.
  • imageMariJ1008:
    I dont really measure, unfortunately, but the applesauce consistancy was to thick for him, and the directions on the box was to watery. So I do a trial and error; so less thick than applesauce, but not super watery...sorry does that make sense?

It totally does-- I actually did the same thing tonight. He ate a little then I decided to sweeten the deal with carrots and that was a bit more successful. Mr. I'm-too-mature-for-naps-at-day-care was really sleepy, too so I'm hoping we'll have better success when his eyes are open! On the plus side, he also took a full bottle before bed so I was glad he got that down. 

• DS mood hasn't really changed and he is pretty happy as well.  Last night was a bit better, he drank 5 oz and finished 1/2oz of sweet potatoes. But yes, some days he eats great and others, he is just not interested! And STTN is no longer! =( He woke up twice last night crying. Teething sucks! My dad watches him while we are at work and he called twice saying that Jonathan refusing the bottle...it's 10am, he last ate 2.5oz at 6am. It's hard to judge how much he is going to eat, and I feel like I am wasting so much formula!
  • I hear you on the wasting part. I gave him all small bottles to take to daycare so he wouldn't waste as much and, of course, this morning he downed 6 ounces  and the morning lady at daycare called to ask if it was okay to give him another bottle because he sucked down the 4 ounce one and was still looking for more. Who knows what to expect?

I should say, at least for my son, it's not going to kill him to miss a meal or two. He's over 18 pounds and 28 inches-- growing definitely isn't an issue! At the same time, I hate to see him uncomfortable and hungry but unable to eat.

• imageeyenigh:

I hear you on the wasting part. I gave him all small bottles to take to daycare so he wouldn't waste as much and, of course, this morning he downed 6 ounces  and the morning lady at daycare called to ask if it was okay to give him another bottle because he sucked down the 4 ounce one and was still looking for more. Who knows what to expect?

I should say, at least for my son, it's not going to kill him to miss a meal or two. He's over 18 pounds and 28 inches-- growing definitely isn't an issue! At the same time, I hate to see him uncomfortable and hungry but unable to eat.

awww cute! my little guy is only 12lb 5oz.....so I think I worry to much about how much he is eating! He's happy all the time, only really cries, if he is really hungry, or super uncomfortable from teething.  This is the time when I wish i was home with him. My dad is so used to him being on such a pretty simple schedule, that he's not sure when to feed him and when not to.  I just told him, it's trial and error, over the weekend, I would just give him bottle at anytime..there was no every 3-4hrs feeding schedule..if he took it great, if he didnt I tried later. Teething definitely sucks!

• So now I think he has a cold :-(
  • Mine is doing this as well. She was born 3 weeks early so she's actually a little over 5 months old already. She had been take 5 6oz bottles a day. This morning she only took 4.5oz when she woke up. I find her "chewing" on the formula like she's trying to eat it like a solid. I think she just realized that solids actually fill her up, so she doesn't need as much formula. She's still STTN so far. I think I read babies go through a period where they take more formula but then it tapers down again. Maybe a growth spurt or something.

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"