January 2011 Moms

vent...

So my H and I have been trying really hard to budget our money, and we suck at it. (This = lots of stress.)

I am excited that he wants to go back to school for his masters, but when I talked to my mom tonight she told me that... "It sure seems to be a lot about him." Wow that hurts. If he went back to school, he will have a lot more job opportunities in his field. She stresses me out when she says things like this.... he is currently working away from home and I only see him on weekends.

I think she's upset that I left the pharmacy Ph.D. program for nursing. She is a nurse she shouldn't be so judgmental. Nursing is not a downgrade. It is an honorable profession and I know I will be able to help a lot more people and be a lot happier as a nurse than as a researcher. Everyday I come home from clinicals I am super relaxed and incredibly happy. I wish she would understand. Don't get me wrong I enjoy some things about research, but most of the career options are not the part that I enjoy. I have two years left in the program. H's master would take about 2 years. This would work out about perfect for us.

My little Iz has a rash from her shoulders to her toes and I don't know what it is from. She seems to be acting fine. Maybe it's the soap I used last night.I tried a different kind last night. Maybe it's heat rash.

I'm just frustrated thanks for reading.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: vent...

• Sometimes moms don't think before they speak, and they are really only looking out for their daughters I guess. My mom does similar stuff and I just try to ignore it.

Kudos to you for following a career path that you think you would love.  A lot of people go to work every day and hate it, and who wants to do that!?  This is exactly how I knew that it was time for a change after I had been in the same industry for 10 years and was laid off. I don't miss it. I feel relieved.  If you can work towards a job you will enjoy and only have two years to go, that rocks.

I hope the rash on Iz clears up asap!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RedZeeRedZee member

True dat MarSam about what moms say. Their opinions can sometimes hurt, even if we know that what we're choosing is right for us.

You are SO incredibly smart for leaving your PhD program if it wasn't what you wanted. I spent 8 freakin' years getting my PhD and often debated whether I wanted to stick with it. Then I spent 2 years looking for a low paying job and ended up leaving the field. As a family, we have so many more opportunities. Many of the people in my company have PhDs in the same field as me - because they also realized that research can seriously suck and doesn't pay well. If you're happy and you're pursuing something that is good for you and your family (and others!) then don't worry if it's not what your mom wants for you.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Marsam and Redzee. I think I really needed that tonight. I don't know why I let silly things like this get me down sometimes. I know my mom means well but you are right they do see things very one sided.

I wish both of you the very best.

Thanks for lifting my spirits.

• We all let the things our mothers say make us insane. Its what makes us a daughter. lol. I plan to drive Whitney batty. lol jk

• imageMarSamWhitney:
    We all let the things our mothers say make us insane. Its what makes us a daughter. lol. I plan to drive Whitney batty. lol jk

Sometimes I wish there was a like on the bump because I like this. :) I'm sure my Iz will suffer the same curse.

• imageMarSamWhitney:

Sometimes moms don't think before they speak, and they are really only looking out for their daughters I guess. My mom does similar stuff and I just try to ignore it.

Kudos to you for following a career path that you think you would love.  A lot of people go to work every day and hate it, and who wants to do that!?  This is exactly how I knew that it was time for a change after I had been in the same industry for 10 years and was laid off. I don't miss it. I feel relieved.  If you can work towards a job you will enjoy and only have two years to go, that rocks.

I hope the rash on Iz clears up asap!

This exactly.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"