VBAC

Perfect OB does not take my insurence and a thank you!

First of all thank you all for encouraging me to contact Dr. Cummings! I joined my local ICAN group and all of those ladies also suggested him. I also joined a "special scar" group that is for women who have transverse T, T, J, classical, and other unique uterine scars and they are great! A few of them who happened to be located in Texas also suggested Dr. Cummings so that is very neat! I think he is the only option (barring going the unassisted birth or randomly showing up and fighting for it...neither that I want at this time in my life) for special scar VBAC in Texas. It is illegal for midwifes to attend home births or birthing center births for special scar births here in Texas!I would gladly pay out of pocket for a home birth but I guess that is not option. A home birth or birthing center birth is my dream.

Anyways, come to find out Dr. Cummings does not take my insurance. That is a bit scary since, unlike midwifes, OB's and hospitals are very expensive and I can see those costs really adding up! But like I said he is my only option unless I just have a repeat c/s, which I really don't want. Anyways I am weighing my options before getting my consultation with him so I can have a plan.

Maybe I could stay with the doctor I am with now tell the last possible moment and transfer over? Maybe the hospital stay would be covered at least? I don't know...all I know is that even with a payment plan it is going to be next to impossible to pay for it all out of pocket, at least I think. But my DH says we will find a way...he really wants this for me. I love him. Has anyone ever gone through this? Tips or anything to share? I had great insurance with my son and even with it we paid a lot so the thought of doing it without anything is scary stuff! But I know a lot of us VBAC women have to take whatever doctor will allow a VBAC and so I'm sure some on here have run into that perfect doctor not excepting the insurance. Maybe you could let me know how you did it.  Any advice would be AMAZING.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: Perfect OB does not take my insurence and a thank you!

• imagePinkLily1234:

Does your insurance have "out of network" coverage?  Depending on the type of plan you have, you might have out of network benefits - you pay more but still have coverage.  You might not have this structure of insurance, but it's something to look into.  Just because he doesn't directly bill your insurance doesn't necessarily mean you will have no coverage.

Also, like you said even if this doctor is not covered the hospital may still be covered by your insurance.   Try looking up the hospital on your insurance company's website. 

Yes All of this.  It's definitely worth checking out IMO.  GL with your consult, and I'm really hoping he works out for you! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"