January 2012 Moms
Options

From bad to worse....

I just have to complain and whine real quick as it's Monday and I feel like it...

DD is simply NOT sleeping. She's never been a good sleeper but I thought the older she gets the better it would be. But I was wrong! She had a good stretch 3-4 months and slept really well then it went back to waking up every 3 hrs or so. Then she started waking up every hour! Then last weekend she slept awesome and then this past week she went back to no sleep. She wakes up ever hour the first 3hrs of the night then she wakes up every 10-30 minutes!! Finally at around 3.30 she's so tired that she passes out but I get up at 5.00 to go to work.

I know other moms are going through this but I'm seriously doubting how I'm going to keep doing this... I can't figure out what her deal is. Not even the swing works. She likes her paci and would wake up eventually wanting it back. Now as soon as she falls asleep she spits it out and then immediately after screams for it.... and it's not reflux or anything like that....

I just don't know what to do anymore. I had to get that off my chest. I feel so defeated and as dumb as it sounds I feel like a total faliure b/c I can't figure out how to put an end to this...

That is all....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: From bad to worse....

• Options

I absolutely feel your pain.  Having a bad sleeper makes me feel like the worst mother on earth.

Have you considered doing CIO?   

ETA: We also have a bad sleeper, and probably need to re-do CIO, but we did have a lot of luck with it at first.  If she put herself to sleep, she slept much longer than if we soothed her to sleep.  We've been backsliding for several reasons, but the first round of CIO was really not that bad for us.  Good luck! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageanhg80:

I absolutely feel your pain.  Having a bad sleeper makes me feel like the worst mother on earth.

ETA: We also have a bad sleeper, and probably need to re-do CIO, but we did have a lot of luck with it at first.  If she put herself to sleep, she slept much longer than if we soothed her to sleep.  We've been backsliding for several reasons, but the first round of CIO was really not that bad for us.  Good luck! 

Ugh it's so frustrating when you feel helpless, isn't it...

Yes we've talked about CIO but DH is not quite on board with it. He feels bad and caves. I'm having a hard time with it, too but I think we need to try it or we are in for a long stretch of no sleep and tantrums...

I"m just a bit confused how that all works b/c it would basically be teaching her to fall asleep on her own AND break the pacifier habit... Not sure how to go about that... Tongue Tied

Thanks! good luck to you, too!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefyrefairie:
    how do i put this

L...M..A..O...!!!! This is too funny!

• Options

Ferber's method is all about breaking kids of all sleep props, including the paci.  I, too, am afraid to give up on the paci (which is why we've backslid).  I think once we have more of a nap schedule figured out, we'll re-think CIO.  

Not to bad-mouth all men, it seems that among my friends all of the dads were the ones who had trouble with CIO.  My husband definitely didn't follow through (again, one of the reasons for the backslide).  He was totally on board until she cried "too hard."  I think as the parent who's around the most, the mom can often see the long term benefit of CIO before the dad does (although, again, trying not to gender stereotype).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel your pain bigbear. I probably don't have it as bad as it sounds like you do. DS was finally starting to STTN the last couple of weeks and for the last two nights he has been really restless and crying out. He's been in bed since 6 tonight and is doing the same thing. I suspect he could be teething. Could that be a possibility for your DD?

• Options

DS has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks consistently and I find that putting him in his crib for the night awake really has helped him to self soothe. We very rarely have a night waking. For about a week at 3 months old, we had to let him cry for 30 mins before falling asleep...but that's it! 

I'm not trying to sound harsh or even like it's directed at you, but in my opinion, stop rocking or nursing the baby to sleep, pull out the pacifier, put your baby down with a full tummy, clean diaper, turn the mobile on and leave the room. If they cry, let them cry. They will eventually learn that it's time to sleep and will be able to roll over and drift off. And when they wake in the middle of the night for some reason, they might let out a little whimper but they will be way more likely to put themselves back to sleep. You just have to do it - even if it's just for your own sanity!

Totally just jinxed myself! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebigbear:
    imageanhg80:

Ugh it's so frustrating when you feel helpless, isn't it...

Yes we've talked about CIO but DH is not quite on board with it. He feels bad and caves. I'm having a hard time with it, too but I think we need to try it or we are in for a long stretch of no sleep and tantrums...

I"m just a bit confused how that all works b/c it would basically be teaching her to fall asleep on her own AND break the pacifier habit... Not sure how to go about that... Tongue Tied

Thanks! good luck to you, too!

you sound exactly like me! I feel your pain!!! however, we tried CIO using the chart I got from ferber found here https://noobmommy.com/2008/11/to-ferberize-or-not-to-ferberize.html last week and we got rid of, wait for it, wait for it, the swaddle, the paci and the constant waking ALL AT ONCE. i know it sounds too good to be true, but i have had a notsogreat sleeper from day 1 and we have gotten at least 10 hours from her the last 6 nights, it's been nothing short of amazing. and best of all, no going in 25 times to put the paci back in. GL!

ETA: just so you have an  idea what happened with us with CIO following the intervals from the chart above.
    night 1: crying (almost constantly and HARD with about a 20 min break) 1.5 hours
    night 2: crying 55 minutes pretty hard
    night 3: 15 minutes crying hardish
    night 4: 4 minutes of fuss crying
    night 5: literally, about 4 seconds of a fuss cry
    night 6: i heard a squeak. i.kid.you.not.

If i hadn't seen it with my own eyes i wouldn't believe it. I still give her the paci when she is fussy during the day, but not when she's sleeping anymore... i should just take it away altogether at this point, but the God's honest truth is i think it's adorable. and evil all at the same time

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"