C-sections

Recovery Time/Experience

Hello Ladies,

I had a C-Section last week on 7/12/12.  I have good days and days that I feel more slow and sore.

I'm trying to only take pain meds at this point if really necessary, mostly it's towards the end of the day when I'm sore from lifting the baby all day and cleaning around the house.

My incision is still tender and my belly still feels sore and "bruised" at times.

I'm still having light bleeding (vaginally).  It's less than a regular period but it's still there.

Does this sound typical or normal?  Anyone else care to share how they are feeling or felt after about a week?

Thanks! Speedy recovery to each of you! 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Recovery Time/Experience

• RedDDDRedDDD member
    My c-section was 4/17 and I feel like I had a pretty easy recovery.  I was off the pain meds almost right away.  I never took them once I got home just kept taking the recommended dose of IBprofin.  I think was sore for about a week but once I started really moving around and working out I was sore for about another week but then it went away.  Within two weeks I was feeling great and had no pain or limitations.  I think I only bled for about two weeks and that was it.  GL to you!
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• It took me two weeks to start feeling "normal" and about three to feel even better.  After one week I was still on meds and to be honest take your meds if you need them it actually helps you recover if you are feeling better than suffering.

I bled for six weeks with both sections.

I had a kind of major complication with my second section where a capillary was missed during surgery and I bled into my vaginal area so from under my csetion into my vaginal area I was bruised and swollen for two months...kind of made it much more sore.  Yeah that was gross, but just know even with that I started to feel better after two weeks :)

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds pretty normal to me.  I took the pain meds pretty regularly for about a week, and then started to taper off.  I bled actively for about a week and a half, and then spotted for another week or so.  My incision still gets tender and sore sometimes, and I'm 14 weeks pp.  It's definitely a long recovery process, from my experience.
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• I had mine on the 15th and I'm feeling pretty much the same.  I had staples and just got them out this morning, so I'm feeling better without that poking and pinching!  I would agree that I'm in more pain at night after I've been up all day.  I'm still meds, but mostly just Motrin and I'm getting to the point where I forget to take it, so to me that is a sign that I won't need it too much longer.  

Im still having a bit of bleeding, less than a period, and usually happens when I breast feed so I think it's just my uterus shrinking. 

Everyone is different, but from what I have heard, we're feeling what we should at a week out! 

• The soreness and bleeding sound normal to me.  I bled for 6 weeks after my first c/s and 7 weeks after my second c/s.

However, you need to take it easy.  Does "cleaning around the house" mean doing dishes, laundry, vaccuuming?  If so, STOP.  Your DH can take care of those things.  Also limit the trips up and down the stairs.

I know what it feels like to over-do it and it hurts.  I thought I felt back to normal at 2 weeks and ended up in pain in bed.  It's not worth it.  The housework can wait until your DH can get to it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would hold off on cleaning around the house for another week or two especially if it's causing you to be sore.  Have your H or someone else help you with cleaning.

But it is normal to still be sore and more so if you overdo it.

The light bleeding is also normal.

At one week out I think I was still moving slower and was mindful of how much moving around I was doing because I would feel dizzy when I was doing too much.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imagetawillers:

The soreness and bleeding sound normal to me.  I bled for 6 weeks after my first c/s and 7 weeks after my second c/s.

However, you need to take it easy.  Does "cleaning around the house" mean doing dishes, laundry, vaccuuming?  If so, STOP.  Your DH can take care of those things.  Also limit the trips up and down the stairs.

I know what it feels like to over-do it and it hurts.  I thought I felt back to normal at 2 weeks and ended up in pain in bed.  It's not worth it.  The housework can wait until your DH can get to it.

This. You should not be doing anything except taking care of your baby and yourself. You had major surgery. Take it easy. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I had my c/s on May 23. I was home by that Friday (I stayed 2 nights). When I got home I took pain meds until the Sunday after my c-section and then only took the Motrin after. I did end up having some fluid that caused me severe pain 8 days after my c/s that caused me to go to the ER. I took my pain meds again that day but nothing after that night.

I felt sore and tender until about 2 weeks after my c-section. My bleeding did not stop this time around until about 8 weeks after my c-section. However it was light with occasional gushes if I was sitting or over did something during that time.

• Sounds about right - I was feeling the same way at that stage.  I did make it a point to get out for a daily walk - 1 mile around the neighborhood starting with day 8.  I obviously didn't feel fantastic but well enough to get around.  My mental state was a lot more concerning than my physical one, I swear I never cried as much as I did those first few weeks home.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• I had mine 7/20. I am five weeks now. I take Advil still but just once a day probably. I am more sore at night as well. Starting four weeks I started getting much better. I noticed my pain depends on ow much sleep I get
  • Sounds normal to me. I was still slow moving until several weeks after, and had to gingerly step in and out of the shower (tub) because lifting my legs up squished my incision. I had to put a pillow behind me in the rocking chair or else I was in too deep and couldn't get out with baby in my arms, and it took me a while to get up out of bed. About 2 wks pp I was still taking drugs (OTC ibuprofen) at the end of the day because I was getting sore from the day's activities. I was still bleeding at that point, and it actually got worse around 3 wks pp because I was too active. Sounds like you're making out ok!

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"