June 2011 Moms
Options

The Opposite of Stranger Anxiety

We went to the grocery store today and Emma was a complete and total ham. She was waving and saying "hi" to pretty much everyone we passed and if she wasn't doing that, she'd give them this HUGE grin, squint her eyes and scrunch up her shoulders then let out this shrieking laugh. I love that she makes other people smile but I'm a little worried about her lack of shyness when it comes time to teach her about "stranger danger"! Will the balance just work itself out? Will she eventually develop stranger anxiety? I mean, I don't want it to go in the complete opposite direction but I am surprised that she has never clung on to me when it comes to other people. Anyone else have a social butterfly?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
DD born 5/15/11
DS born 11/12/12

Re: The Opposite of Stranger Anxiety

• Options

Yep sounds like my LO. People comment all the time that he's th friendliest baby they have met.

I should add that although he will play, wave with strangers if they were to try to pick him up he would not allow it. He met my aunt for the first time last week and she couldn't even hold him. He cried and screamed and put his arms around my neck. Same with the lady that fitted him for shoes.

• Options
    My DD is the complete opposite. I find it interesting that the way your LO acts around strangers is the way DD acts around DH and I (and only us!). DD will sometimes smile or wave randomly at strangers but if they actually approach her, talk to her, make it obvious that they are focusing on her she shuts down, turns away, sometimes cries, and if she can crawls in my lap, into my arms, and holds on for dear life. A happy medium between your LO and mind would be nice :-P

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is like this, but if anyone tries to touch or hold him, he flips out. He likes strangers from a distance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD is very friendly too. I wish she would have a little more anxiety!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO has been doing this to random strangers when we're out "hi! hi!" while waving and grinning. BUT, if people get too close, he gets worried and might even cry. Luckily, random strangers don't tend to get to close, but he gets that way with our neighbors...and MIL, LOL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yep this is Ev. He even reaches out to strangers all the time, wanting them to hold him. It's super awkward, because where we live, people are so friendly they would pick him up if we'd let them! I love that he's comfortable around people besides family, but yeah I'm definitely worried about teaching him the concept of "stranger danger" when he's older. I feel like it's going to break his little heart to find out everyone isn't a friend :(
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Sounds like my first.  She's never met a stranger.  When she was 2ish she actually hugged and kissed a strange old lady in a wheelchair after she asked for a hug.  I was horrified.  We had the "it's okay to talk to strangers if mommy or daddy is with you, but not by yourself."  We're still trying to work this out.  Luckily #2 is MUCH more reserved.

It feels so strange actually responding (hope it's okay!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesimbaby:
    My LO is like this, but if anyone tries to touch or hold him, he flips out. He likes strangers from a distance.

Same here- usually any way.  Sometimes even my friends are scary to her if she hasn't seen them in a while or isn't in the mood to socialize.  And yet, when we're at playgroup she's climbed into the laps of other moms a few times- maybe she can tell she's in a safe place- or all those moms sitting on the floor are too tempting!  Other LO's about her age have clung to me there too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    C is the same way. She is a huge ham in the grocery stores and when we are out to eat if the waiter/waitress doesn't acknowledge her she gets pissed. Heck at my brother's graduation she even sat in the lap of the lady in front of us for a while because she was getting bored. The lady was talking to her and C held her hands up and leaned towards her. I'm sure at some point the stranger danger might kick in. Hopefully.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"