Special Needs
Options

Club foot--intro

We had our a/s Wednesday, and it appears that our baby boy has one club foot.  Everything else looked good with him.  I will have a follow up u/s in 4 weeks I guess to confirm this.

I know there are many many worse things than a club foot.  I've done a little reading on the Internet about it, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience/advice.

Also, a couple questions, trying to prepare myself.  With a club foot, is it pretty much inevitable that he will need treatment, or is there a chance it can correct itself?  What clothing should I get for baby?  He is due is October, and I put ds1 in footed sleepers all winter.  Should I plan on pants and footless sleepers?

Thank you for any advice. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Club foot--intro

• Options

I just came on this board to post the same thing. I'm having a follow up u/s in about 5 weeks. My OB said if the baby does in fact have a club foot, he will be fitted for a cast. I read up on it as well and everything seems to say it needs to be treated immediately. He also told me more often then not "its nothing" and the baby is sitting weird during the scan. Guess we'll find out soon. 

Good luck to you guys! 

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Options

I guess the clothing question would be better answered by someone with experience with casting.  I'm sorry I don't have that BUT Peyton's right ankle/foot was turned completely inward (think 90 degree right angle) and we saw an orthopedic dr and he did not want to cast it.  It wasn't a true club foot in that it wasn't locked.  I assume casting would change the game plan for clothes but we were able to put her in normal clothes it was just always turned completely in.  

GL

I think I would start to look for a pedi ortho dr in your area (they aren't always easy to find or get in too, and you may want to meet with them before the baby is born, because their are different methods to 'fix' club feet) 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesohanlon44:

We had our a/s Wednesday, and it appears that our baby boy has one club foot.  Everything else looked good with him.  I will have a follow up u/s in 4 weeks I guess to confirm this.

I know there are many many worse things than a club foot.  I've done a little reading on the Internet about it, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience/advice.

Also, a couple questions, trying to prepare myself.  With a club foot, is it pretty much inevitable that he will need treatment, or is there a chance it can correct itself?  What clothing should I get for baby?  He is due is October, and I put ds1 in footed sleepers all winter.  Should I plan on pants and footless sleepers?

Thank you for any advice. 

Sorry I am coming to this a little late, so hopefully you get this. My son was born in February with bi-lateral club feet. This did not show up on the US so we weren't prepared. Depending on how long he is in casts, (my son was in them until he was 9 weeks) more then likely he can wear footed pj's. I was able to button or zip fleece pjs right over the casts. If the casts are too big you can always put him in onsies and a wearable blanket or swaddle. Once he is out of casts more then likely he will be in braces, then you will not be able to put him in footed pjs. I would suggest wearable blankets or footless pjs (which are hard to find for little ones). 

More then likely if it is actually club feet there will need to be treatment to correct it. My son was put in his first set of casts at 5 days changed out every week until he was 9 weeks. Then he was put in a Dennis Brown brace at night and naps until he was 5 months at that time he had surgery on one of his feet and is back in casts until next week (4 weeks). At that time he will be in the Dennis Brown brace 23 hours a day for 6 months (until he is 1), then just at nights until he is 2-3 years old.

If you need any other advice or have any questions feel free to ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"