June 2011 Moms
Options

How often are you still spoon feeding LO? Not including purees.

The past few nights we've had 'messy' dinners: lasagna, bacon cheeseburger mac, chicken fettuccine alfredo. I spoon fed most of those meals to DS, I did put some on his tray and let him use his fork (because that's his new favorite thing) and he picked up the food and ate it. I really don't mind the mess because he gets a bath right after dinner but I feel like he will eat more if I feed it to him.

Do you feed these kind of meals to your LO or just let them go to town?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How often are you still spoon feeding LO? Not including purees.

• Options
    It depends on the food. The dining room in our apartment is carpeted, so it's not as easy to clean up things like red pasta sauce when they are thrown on the floor. DD is in some kind of phase (I hope!) where she throws her food when she's either bored or full. There are some things that I put on her tray for her to self-feed, like veggies, fruit, pieces of egg or chicken....but things like cottage cheese or anything with pasta sauce - I feed to her with a spoon to avoid the mess that can happen if she throws it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    We have never spoon fed N (with the exception of the first week or so before we quit purees).  Occasionally he'll want a bite off of our fork or he'll want us to load up his fork for him, but he's always fed himself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Never. I used to preload a spoon with things like yogurt and let her grab it from me, but now she can pretty much scoop it up with a spoon herself and do it. (not cleanly, but she can!)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I never spoon feed anymore.  If it's a messy meal then I just know I'll have a big clean up to do.  Oddly enough some of the messiest meals are DS favorites.
  • Options
    She usually just self-feeds with her fingers. I preload DD's spoon every once in a while. She takes it from there. She refuses to let me spoon feed her. She tries to scoop food onto her spoon so I know that she gets the concept, but hasn't yet successfuly spooned anything into her mouth.
  • Options

We do a combination of both.  The more 'solid' kind of food, I will put on her tray and she can feed herself.  But stuff like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc., I will sppon feed her.

• Options
    klvklv member
    Other than yogurt or applesauce, never. We have not attempted forks yet 
  • Options
    99% of the time I just let her do it.  She's much happier and I get to eat also.  
  • Options
    I still spoon feed messy foods most of the time. She often wants to take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth so I let her do that, but for some of the messier dinners I just do it. I know I need to let her do it more often, but sometimes I just can't deal with the mess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use a spoon on yogurt every day.  I don't want to think of what he'd look like if we didn't!
  • Options

imageBaby4OT:
    I still spoon feed messy foods most of the time. She often wants to take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth so I let her do that, but for some of the messier dinners I just do it. I know I need to let her do it more often, but sometimes I just can't deal with the mess.

This for me too.  I know I'm behind on this and the sippy cup.  I usually keep the milk cup away from him at mealtime and just give him sips every once in a while.  If I give him the cup, he just slams it on the tray and then throws it to the floor.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If we're at home, I usually only spoon feed him things like oatmeal and yogurt.  Even then, I'll let him try to use a spoon or fork to finish things off.  Now if I feed him too late or he's in a lazy mood, I'll take my fork and feed him here and there while we're eating so I know he's getting food.

When we're out, anything messy warrants a spoon.  For example, at a friend's last night, I spoon fed him cheesy potato casserole.  At home, I would have let him eat it himself.   When I'm not at home (or someplace like my parents'), it's not worth the trouble dealing with the mess.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    I spoon feed cottage cheese, yogurt and applesauce...everything else he just goes to town on.  He'll occasionally try to use a spoon or fork on things, but usually just gets frustrated and abandons it.
    The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
    Liam - 5.17.11
  • Options
    We don't spoon feed anything.  If we have something like cottage cheese, yogurt etc I will give her her own spoon.  She is pretty messy with it and about 40% of the time I have to help her load it for her to get anything on there.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If DD won't eat something with her fingers, we try using a spoon. DD often eats more if we feed her (putting food in her mouth or using a spoon) than on her own. Yogurt is the only food she eats with a spoon on a daily basis. I haven't tried a fork yet...perhaps I should get one out and see what she thinks of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"