April 2012 Moms
Options

Yes another post on solids... CP

I don't want to start a heated debate i'm honestly just curious.  DH and I were discussing yesterday what we plan to do with LO re: introducing solids.  LO is MSPI and i'm gluten intolerant so i'm very nervous/cautious about what to do.

A friend of mine is doing BLW (Baby Lead Weaning).  I've been reading the Health Canada recommendations which is to start with purees. 

My doctor told me to skip cereal altogether and go straight to veggies, fruit and meat because of LO's and my food intoleance history.  However the Health Canada website is saying there is more and more evidence that holding off high allergy foods like wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, etc. do not reduce LO's chances of a food allergy. 

DH and I are going to do some more research before we make a decision. 

So i'm just curious, what do you plan on doing with LO? 

[Poll]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Yes another post on solids... CP

• Options

We tried BLW with Edie, but she didn't want any parts of it.  Also, my MIL (who does are daycare) won't do it because she's petrified of choking (which Edie did often).  Yes, I'm the parent and I get to pick.  But why force someone to do something that they are TOTALLY PETRIFIED of?  So we'll do purees.

We may or may not do oatmeal.  We did with Edie.  We also thickened the purees I made with oatmeal.  She's 22mo old now and she eats oatmeal a lot of mornings for breakfast.  Granted, it's regular oatmeal.  But, I think oatmeal is real food.  So we may do it and flavor it with fruit and/or cinnamon.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    vtwd40vtwd40 member
    we will probably do a modified BLW. I like the idea, but since she will go to DC, she will get purees there. We'll give her some stuff to gnaw on, but purees will definitely be in the mix as well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I want to do BLW but also plan to eat more steamed and mashed foods myself at that time since a lot of the veggies I eat could present choking hazards for her if I cut them in little pieces (carrots, cauliflower, asparagus).

ETA: I know you can cut things stick shaped and not round, but I like mashed carrots with raisins and honey, so why not?

• Options

Honestly, no clue.

Ari is also MSPI so I am super nervous about starting solids. I'll probably make my own purees to shield him from any possible contamination but honestly I'll have to see what makes the most sense once it comes time. 

• Options
    I'll be doing a modified BLW as well. Her doctor recommended that I start her on cereal due to the reflux, but since I started her on Zantac, it has helped so much I don't think it's necessary. I haven't decided when I'll add baby food, but I started both the boys around 6 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have no idea what I'm going to do, so I'm glad you posted this!
  • Options
    I will start Kate on cereal, then move to veggies.
  • Options
    My H THINKS he's going to make his own purees. LOL, yeah, we'll see! Anyway, I plan to do purees. I'll probably just start w/ fruits and veggies, whichever she'll eat. I don't care if it's fruits before veggies. I don't know about cereals. I'm going to ask her pedi at her 4 month appointment if there is any reason to do cereal before fruits and veggies. I'm not in any hurry and probably won't do it before 6 months, though.
  • Options
    I want to vote, but I don't really know what baby led weaning is?.... so, we will probably start adding a little cereal to her diet around 5 to6 months, then pureed veggies then fruits then meats.  yea! 
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

DH and I were talking about this the other day because the recommedations say start solids 4-6 months.  I'm really glad that it is recommended to closer to 6 months.  I really don't think she's ready.  I will make a more informed decision on Friday after she goes for her four month check up.  Until than I'll start reading up on it more and more. 

• Options

We plan on talking with the pedi at her visit next Monday. She has definitely shown more interest in food the past couple weeks. Also I'm not sure if it is teething or what but for the past week she hasn't been drinking much breastmilk via bottle. My DH says she will drink about 1oz then start playing with the bottle and gnawing on it. As soon as he takes it away though, she screams. I don't know, I'm not expert but maybe she has become bored of JUST breastmilk? We will see what the pedi says and go from there. 

I know I will most likely skip cereal though. I just don't understand the concept of non-nutritional food such as cereal. So if we get the go ahead we will jump right in to home made baby mush, fruits or veggies, not sure yet!

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had great success with DD and BLW and it was so easy. We'll definitely be trying it again with DS.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Purees for us.  BLW terrifies me!  I don't see anything good coming from giving a 5 month old baby a chunk of broccoli to "gnaw" on.  All I see is a child sucking a huge chunk of broccoli down it's throat and choking!  I'm not saying that they won't choke on purees -- but it seems a little safer to me to mash the stuff up first.  

I went out to dinner with a friend who had a 6 month old.  I think she was doing BLW -- and gave him a breadstick to chew on...he kept choking and gagging on it because he was trying to cram the whole thing in his mouth  -- I give a No to BLW

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    dojo1dojo1 member
    Ss - I will likely follow my pedi's recommendation and we haven't discussed it yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejessandandy09:
    I want to vote, but I don't really know what baby led weaning is?.... so, we will probably start adding a little cereal to her diet around 5 to6 months, then pureed veggies then fruits then meats.  yea! 

Pretty much this. What is BLW? We'll do just about the same as ds1, start cereal at 5.5 ish months then quickly move on to purred veggies and fruits. We stick with each new item alone for a few days, check for reactions and then move on. Ds1 was on all real food ( ie: black beans, pasta, yogurt, turkey meatballs etc...) at 10 months :)

• Options
    I'm thinking we will do baby purees. I want to make my own doing one fruit or veggie at a time, making sure there is no reaction and then moving on. We don't see the doctor again till the end of August but I will be asking about it then. I would like to wait until closer to 6 months before starting solids but we will follow the our pedis recommendation. 
  • Options
    we'll do blw when he's able to sit on his own. we did it with our daughter and it was messy as hell, but really worth it for us. I'm thinking we'll start him on chunks of roasted pumpkin.
  • Options
    I will be introducing solids in a month or two.  Of course I will be talking to the pedi about this at her next appt, so I'm sure I will know better next week what he recommends to do.  I will be starting with rice and oatmeal, then veggies, fruit, and meat.  Both DH and I agreed to jarred baby food, but will be making somethings at home for her once she gets a good start (mashed potatoes, etc.).  I don't necessarily care to make my own baby food this time around. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't know what we'll do. He's 3 months and I don't think I'm interested in introducing anything other than formula for quite a while...unless something changes.  He's not interested in what we eat.  He takes his bottles okay, but not eagerly.  He's growing fine.  I don't see any reason to change anything any time soon.  Not sure what my pedi would say - I haven't asked him.
  • Options

I would say that this:

However the Health Canada website is saying there is more and more evidence that holding off high allergy foods like wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, etc. do not reduce LO's chances of a food allergy.

Does not apply to children that already have a FA. I would follow what your Ped recommends. 

Anecdotal, but my kids all have milk protein intolerance.  I did purees with DS1 and he had more FAs.  He was also FF after 6 weeks old.  I tried purees with DD and she hated them, so we didn't try many and went right to BLW at 8 mos.  She was BF until 13 mos too.  I will probably try a couple purees, but mostl do BLW with DS2 whenever he seems ready.  I may BF him longer if it seems like he needs it.  DS1 was a poor grower/eater and I always wished I'd nursed him longer. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    imageSclines2595:

Purees for us.  BLW terrifies me!  I don't see anything good coming from giving a 5 month old baby a chunk of broccoli to "gnaw" on.  All I see is a child sucking a huge chunk of broccoli down it's throat and choking!  I'm not saying that they won't choke on purees -- but it seems a little safer to me to mash the stuff up first.  

I went out to dinner with a friend who had a 6 month old.  I think she was doing BLW -- and gave him a breadstick to chew on...he kept choking and gagging on it because he was trying to cram the whole thing in his mouth  -- I give a No to BLW

That's not what it is, at all.  First, you don't start until they're a little older.  Usually once they have the pincer grasp down, but you can give mashed solids before then.  Once they have the pincer grasp (e.g. they can pick up a cheerio) you give them soft chunk of diced food to eat, like avocado, tofu, soft fruit and steamed soft squash.  Giving a 6 m/o a bread stick is not BLW, IMO. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I'm down to make my own food this time.  But I really hope we get a chest freezer before then.  Our side-by-side fridge TOTALLY SUCKS.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    I'll start with baby oatmeal mixed with breastmilk since the oatmeal has iron in it and DS has always had a touch of anemia, then do purees. I'll start when she is sitting, shows interest in food, and loses her tongue thrust, so prob around 5-6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageSclines2595:

lol well clearly you don't know what you're talking about. 

we will do blw once N shows the readiness signs for it. i don't have interest in spoon feeding him. 

• Options
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:
    imageSclines2595:

lol well clearly you don't know what you're talking about. 

we will do blw once N shows the readiness signs for it. i don't have interest in spoon feeding him. 

Yeeeeah. Andplusalso kids gag when they start table food regardless of age, FYI. At least at 6 months the gag reflex triggers close to the front of the mouth so there's less chance of choking.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

SS--We'll do some BLW and some purees so we can make sure DD gets to taste all kids of different foods/flavors.

ETA: And we never did the typical cereal start with DD1 and we won't this time either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"