August 2011 Moms
Options

Babies in Movie Theaters (makes me rage)

In wake of the tragedy in Denver, I'm feeling even more adamant about this than normal. 

I wish people would stop it, seriously, why why why are you taking your INFANT to a loud movie theater late at night?  I went to the midnight showing of a movie with a co-worker last year and I was in disbelief when I heard a newborn crying in the dark theater. 

Newsflash, having a baby interrupts your nightlife, stop being a selfish a$$ and take your baby home.  

I really, really hope theaters stop allowing people to bring their babies into theaters now, and children who are under age.  The Christian Bale Batman movies are quite adult in nature, not like the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer/George Clooney movies, they were fine for kids, but not these, absolutely not suitable for anyone under the age of 12. 

btw I do go to the movies occasionally since I had DD, but I go on my own or with a friend. DH stays at home and looks after the baby, then sometimes he'll go alone. I could not imagine taking my baby and just parking her in her stroller, how can it not frighten the living daylights out of them if you're watching a movie in surround sound? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Babies in Movie Theaters (makes me rage)

• Options
    I think some ladies may disagree with you, however, I agree.  Babies/young children in movie theaters have always bothered me.  I just don't feel it is appropriate or necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with you that babies should not be at a midnight viewing of any movie.  However, Sawyer was such a good baby that could sleep through anything that I could have brought him to a movie, and noone would have ever known he was there.  I never wanted to bring him though.  If I was going out, I was going out without the baby!  Like PP stated, it's unnecessary to bring them! Get a babysitter!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't judge people who take their 3 month old to a movie that late. They sleep anywhere and generally through anything. I only judge the ones that bring the kid and then when the kid starts crying, don't bother to excuse themselves. That being said I agree that a 6 year old and 4 year old should not have been at that graphic of a movie and it is not something that I would do. The suggestion of "just get a babysitter" isn't that easy for everyone. 
  • Options

imageCootieQueen170:
    I don't judge people who take their 3 month old to a movie that late. They sleep anywhere and generally through anything. I only judge the ones that bring the kid and then when the kid starts crying, don't bother to excuse themselves. That being said I agree that a 6 year old and 4 year old should not have been at that graphic of a movie and it is not something that I would do. The suggestion of "just get a babysitter" isn't that easy for everyone. 
    Yes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJellyBellyStar:

imageCootieQueen170:

Exactly.

Yes

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but if someone else wants to and their baby is not disrupting the movie, that's their business.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

A friend quoted my mother when she heard of the shooting, "Nothing good happens after midnight." We know there are some good things that happen but you get the message.

There is a certain time children should be in their beds, barring special circumstances; a midnight showing of a movie does not constitute that IMO. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageJellyBellyStar:

imageCootieQueen170:
    I don't judge people who take their 3 month old to a movie that late. They sleep anywhere and generally through anything. I only judge the ones that bring the kid and then when the kid starts crying, don't bother to excuse themselves. That being said I agree that a 6 year old and 4 year old should not have been at that graphic of a movie and it is not something that I would do. The suggestion of "just get a babysitter" isn't that easy for everyone

Exactly.

I agree with this statement.. and you are right the "just get a babysitter" isn't for everyone... but if you can't get a babysitter.... DON'T GO!!!!

• Options
    imageambicklion:

A friend quoted my mother when she heard of the shooting, "Nothing good happens after midnight." We know there are some good things that happen but you get the message.

There is a certain time children should be in their beds, barring special circumstances; a midnight showing of a movie does not constitute that IMO. 

This.  Totally inappropriate and bad parenting to take a kid that young to a movie theater that late.  If you can't afford/get a babysitter,  then you shouldn't go.  

• Options

If you can't afford a baby sitter, you can't afford to go to a movie at midnight. Why on earth would you want to do that to your kid? Why would you want to expose them to a movie like that? DH is an EMT and he has gone in the house a few times where the kids are eating dinner at like 2 AM. WTF? Who lets their kids stay up until 3 AM? And the grandpa took care of them. It's not like the parents worked 3rd shift or something. Very strange.

In Colorado, not only did they take a baby and a toddler to a midnight showing of a movie, but the boyfriend (baby daddy) DROPPED the baby and LEFT - as in drove HOME with his GF and two kids still in the theater being shot at.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow/story?id=16821447#.UAtaobSe6ul

• Options
    imagemelissa0726:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

imageCootieQueen170:

Exactly.

Yes

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but if someone else wants to and their baby is not disrupting the movie, that's their business.  

I agree with all of the above.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageRachey1082:

If you can't afford a baby sitter, you can't afford to go to a movie at midnight. Why on earth would you want to do that to your kid? Why would you want to expose them to a movie like that? DH is an EMT and he has gone in the house a few times where the kids are eating dinner at like 2 AM. WTF? Who lets their kids stay up until 3 AM? And the grandpa took care of them. It's not like the parents worked 3rd shift or something. Very strange.

In Colorado, not only did they take a baby and a toddler to a midnight showing of a movie, but the boyfriend (baby daddy) DROPPED the baby and LEFT - as in drove HOME with his GF and two kids still in the theater being shot at.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow/story?id=16821447#.UAtaobSe6ul

Yes, and then she decided to marry him after he showed his true self. I can't believe it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJelliebean1982:
    imageRachey1082:

Yes, and then she decided to marry him after he showed his true self. I can't believe it.

I completely can't believe it. Some amazing kid helped her get her LOs out of there, not the BF.  

• Options

We took B to the movies when she was a few weeks old. We made sure to go during the afternoon to a movie that had been out awhile so the theatre was basically empty. She did great and slept through the whole thing. We literally didn't have the option for a sitter as all of our family/friends lived in different states. That said I would never take a baby/child to a late/mature movie. She hasn't been back to the movies since. 

Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    imagemelissa0726:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

imageCootieQueen170:

Exactly.

Yes

I agree with most of this. I personally wouldn't bring my baby, but if someone brings theirs and the baby isn't disrupting the movie (or at least the parents take them out at the first cry) then it doesn't bother me.

One thing I don't agree with is the babysitter part. Sure, maybe you can't find/afford a babysitter. Probably, though, you should exercise patience and wait until the movie comes out on dvd/rental. Maybe with your theater savings you could afford to hire a babysitter for the next movie you want to see...

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebundymommy:
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    imagemelissa0726:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

imageCootieQueen170:

Exactly.

Yes

I agree with most of this. I personally wouldn't bring my baby, but if someone brings theirs and the baby isn't disrupting the movie (or at least the parents take them out at the first cry) then it doesn't bother me.

One thing I don't agree with is the babysitter part. Sure, maybe you can't find/afford a babysitter. Probably, though, you should exercise patience and wait until the movie comes out on dvd/rental. Maybe with your theater savings you could afford to hire a babysitter for the next movie you want to see...

Everyone is assuming I meant they couldn't afford a babysitter. I meant that not everyone is willing to leave their kid with a stranger they found on sitter city. It's not just people who can't afford a sitter, it's people who would rather enjoy one night out then leave their kids with a stranger.  I think if the movie had not been graphic I could excuse the 6 and 4 year old being there, maybe it was a 1 time treat they earned. You just never know and I think it's a little harsh to assume that they couldn't afford a babysitter so they should stay home. Maybe that wasn't the case at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"