Special Needs
Options

Conversation w/ Co-Worker

I was just on a call w/ a co-worker whom I get along with really really well.

One of his customers is a well known school for kids w/ Autism - and we just got a an order from them so I'm helping him process the order and get the equipment set up for the school. So we were talking about the order, and I asked how the school was planning to use our products etc....

Then he says "yea, going there to vist was really hard you know?"  I said, "really, why?"  him:  "Well, just seeing all those kids, walking around in a daze, not knowing whats going on, makes me really thankful and glad how my kids aren't like that.  You too, ya know, we're really lucky we don't have to go through that"

I responded: "you do realize my oldest son has an Autism diagnosis, right?"

Him:  shakes head while simulteanously turning white

me:  "I feel pretty damn lucky too".

Re: Conversation w/ Co-Worker

• Options
    What a difficult / challenging encounter. Sounds like you handled it very well!
  • Options
    finsupfinsup member

You think?  It totally stung after when I was thinking about it.

I get what he was trying to say, I really and truly get that.  But all I could hear was "I'm so lucky I don't have a kid like yours". 

And you know what?  Eff that.  My kid rocks. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    finsupfinsup member

Yep, Auntie, you have good insights as usual.

And Yes, I definitely want to do some advocating and educating, especially people who are close to me.  I'm just not quite there yet on my own journey. 

And this guy, he's a GOOD guy, he's in no way an asshat.  Like you said, he just doesn't GET it.  Unfort, we live 2000 miles apart or I'd bring my kid into the office so he could see w/ his own eyes just how awesome he is, despite his weaknesses. 

:-)

• Options

Good for you.  I probably wouldn't have spoken up.  I always think of the good comebacks hours after the situation occurs.  

Like auntie says, I can cut ppl slack for that sometimes.  I grew up with a special needs twin sister so I know the bad (and trust me it was more bad than good for years) but I also know the good (listening to my sister sing "This Used To Be My Playground" at her graduation).  Maybe if we share more of the good with everyone else, they won't feel so sorry for us.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"