July 2012 Moms

FTM Birth Story. Incredibly quick delivery. Still in shock!

Ember Ruth Ann I woke up on Tuesday, July 17, at 5 am with no contractions at all. I was scheduled to work a 9 hour day that day, so I decided to try to go back to sleep. Finally around 6:15 I fell asleep. 

Then I woke up to a very strong contraction at 7:15am. I had started timing very small manageable contractions the night before that I thought were just Braxton Hicks. But I never had a contraction with this much pain. I started timing. I got so uncomfortable and they were coming so hard and fast that I decided to take a warm bath to let DH sleep and see if it helped ease the pain. They were only getting worse.

Contractions averaged 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes long and they were coming every 2-4 minutes. I counted until 8:50am, crying out with each one and hardly able to bear it. 

I was panicking inside. DH was getting really frustrated with me (and I with myself) because we thought "If this is early labor, what is hard labor going to be like?" He drowsily told me to just breathe, and went back to sleep.

At about 9, I felt something wet and noticed I was bleeding bright red blood. I showed DH and we immediately sprung into action. He grabbed the bags, and I called the midwife. She confirmed I needed to go to the hospital, and we were off in 5 minutes. I started crying thinking something was wrong, but she affirmed me that it was probably just bloody show from my cervix opening up. 

We got to the hospital and I sat in a wheelchair in the waiting room a good 15 minutes before someone came, having several intense contractions in front of many people in the meantime. Kind of embarrassing, but I couldn't help it! It's kind of funny now that I look back. 

A nurse wheeled me into triage to check how far along I was progressed. It was about 9:45am before I let her check me-I was grumpy, crying out with each contraction, and hardly had the strength to get on the table.

Best words I hear the entire day: "Hunny, you are 9 cm. dilated. That is why you are in so much pain. Your baby is almost ready."

I said a few inappropriate words, smiled and took a deep breath. 

They rushed me to the birthing room and by the time they gave me an IV for my group B strep and checked me again, I was 10 cm.  

The midwife on call was a 45 minute drive away, and rushed to the hospital in about 25 minutes. By that time, about 10:30, I was actively pushing with each contraction. I was extremely whiny-I was hungry and tired because I had woken up at 5am and didn't get good fluids or breakfast before I came to the hospital. So I was highly motivated to just get her out. In between contractions I would apologize to everyone for all the hell and grumpiness I was putting them through during the contraction, then I would proceed to give everyone hell a couple minutes later with the next one. Haha. 

Ember Ruth Ann was born at 11:06am. My DH says right after I delivered I turned to him with a smile and said, "That just happened." DH had to call me into work that day...but thankfully I had her in time because I didn't have to be at work until 1pm anyway!  My manager was understanding considering I had just given birth. Wink

Ember was a week early weighing in at 5 lbs. 12 ounces. I still cannot believe she is in my arms. 

I did have a second degree tear and only got one dose of penicillin for my group b, but other than that I wish and hope that every one of you has a similar labor experience to mine?super quick and with no complications.

Also a plus...I had her on my parents' 30th wedding anniversary!  That was extremely special for their first grandchild :)

Ember with DH

IAmPregnant Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: FTM Birth Story. Incredibly quick delivery. Still in shock!

• Wow :) what a wonderful story. Congratulations, she's absolutely gorgeous. I wish my labor goes as smoothly as that! G'luck with the recovery.
  • aaimeeaaimee member
    Congrats!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, congrats! Lucky momma!

If my H told me to just breathe and went back to bed while I was in labor though, he'd be the one needing a ride to the hospital!

• Congratulations! Your little girl is adorable!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations! She's is just beautiful, so breathtaking with her headband on!!! Love that pic of her with her papa, who is sleeping like he did all the work!
  • Congratulations! She is such a pretty little thing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"