August 2011 Moms
Options

XP from Breastfeeding: Weaning help

I am just full of questions today! 

DS will be 1 on Wednesday, and we are starting to wean. This week we dropped to 3 sessions a day; morning, afternoon, and bedtime. We cut out a late afternoon session, and now I seem too full by bedtime. LO is almost flooded out when trying to nurse. You know, when they are gulping and barely breathing because the milk is coming out so fast. He nurses on both sides, so I have been switching sides as soon as he starts to slow down. But I need to stop making so much milk.

My question: how do I get the milk to slow down? I know it takes time. Is this just a wait it out/my body will catch up eventually? Should I nurse in the evening instead of afternoon? At least that way he wouldn't get flooded right before bed. Help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP from Breastfeeding: Weaning help

• Options
    When I had to wean P due to making pretty much non-fat milk, I stuck ice pack in a sports bra. I was SUPER engorged. To the point where I was crying. This was the only thing that helped, that and pumping, shockingly. I took Jellie's advice and waited till I couldn't stand it, and then pumped till just about empty. 

And cabbage. 
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I dropped a night time feeding, it just took a few days for my body to adjust. I haven't weened so maybe I don't know, but I would assume that your body will get the memo over the course of the next few days. Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    S-TunaS-Tuna member
    We dropped the late afternoon session one week ago. I am going to give it more time. Thanks, everyone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd stop nursing on both sides.  Just give one side at night and then offer the full side in the morning.  If you're still a firehose position him on top of you so that gravity makes the force more bearable.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been waiting two weeks between dropping feedings.  Well, let's be honest, I've only dropped one and I may be dragging my feet because I'm not ready to wean, but the engorgement is gone.   I dropped the lunch feeding.  Late feeding is going to drop tomorrow.   Whaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"