December 2011 Moms
Options

Giving Tylenol/Motrin for teething

So we are having an extremely hard time giving A medicine for her teething. She spits whatever we manage to get in there then clamps her mouth shut and moves her head back and forth. If she does manage to swallow it she gags. I really don't want to hold her head and force it into her mouth because I don't want her to have a negative connotation with taking medication. I assume it's just the consistency (thick and gel like) because she took her Pepcid just fine for 4.5 months and has no problem with taking her liquid vitamins other than making a face. I have tried different flavors, berry, cherry, grape, and no difference.

Any suggestions? I'm sure you're not supposed to do this but are we able to put it in her bottle, or would it totally lose it's effectiveness??

I just feel so bad that she's in pain and I can't get the medicine into her.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Giving Tylenol/Motrin for teething

• Options
    DS is the same way.  I just try to be as quick as possible about it and then I feel like I'm cleaning up more of it off of him than he's actually getting into his system. 
  • Options
    I'm interested to see if someone knows the answer to this because I put her tylenol in her bottle yesterday for her fever from shots. I put her zyrtec in the bottle each night as well. It didn't even occur to me that this might affect the medicine.
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had this issue with DS, he actually really likes the taste of his grape flavored Ibuprofen (Target's Up and Up).  Does LO take a pacifier?  If you go to Amazon, type in 'pacifier medicine dispenser' in the search field.  I've never tried one so I don't know if they work any better than the plastic syringe that you use with the meds but it might be worth a try.  Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I never tried putting the Tylenol in the bottle, because our LO didn't mind taking the meds straight from the dropper (we use the Little Fevers brand, berry flavored) but our pedi told us we could put it in the bottle if we wanted. 

Have you tried teething tablets? We had really good luck with the Hyland's tablets- I know there is some controversy about them because they contain belladonna, but it's such a small amount, and I talked to several friends who used them with their babies and decided I felt ok about it. I would just drop 2 or 3 into his bottle (every four hours) and they really seemed to help. I also tried the Orajel Naturals tablets, and they didn't seem to work at all.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageemilyerin13:
    I haven't had this issue with DS, he actually really likes the taste of his grape flavored Ibuprofen (Target's Up and Up).  Does LO take a pacifier?  If you go to Amazon, type in 'pacifier medicine dispenser' in the search field.  I've never tried one so I don't know if they work any better than the plastic syringe that you use with the meds but it might be worth a try.  Good luck!

We tried one of these. Great idea in theory, not so great when your LO will only take a certain brand paci, and the nipple on the medicine one didn't match hers. On a less picky LO, it may be awesome. 

BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Options
    When Lucas was in the hospital he was sent home with Motrin and tylenol intervals evey three hrs. He hated it and they showed us how. Stick the syringe way back into their cheek and hold their head steady. Squirt it out in two shots holding their chin to keep mouth closed. The quicker the better. Wait till they swallow and it's ok to gag. If all else fails tylenol makes a suppository!

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options

We use the bottle nipple. (a bigger size holed one) he sucks on it like a bottle and I or dh puts the medicine in the opened end.

Also what Hlc said... Stick it way back!! and also blow on their face... The natural reaction is to swallow. 

• Options
    imageTussie Mussie:

imageemilyerin13:

We tried one of these. Great idea in theory, not so great when your LO will only take a certain brand paci, and the nipple on the medicine one didn't match hers. On a less picky LO, it may be awesome. 

I wondered about this size/shape issue.  We use MAM pacifiers and I don't know how LO would react to a different shaped one.  

Also, as PPs have mentioned, I always do the "squirt in back of the cheek" and it really does help!   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagerlfonda:

We use the bottle nipple. (a bigger size holed one) he sucks on it like a bottle and I or dh puts the medicine in the opened end.

Also what Hlc said... Stick it way back!! and also blow on their face... The natural reaction is to swallow. 

Our pedi told us to try this and it worked! We put the syringe in her cheek, dispense a little bit of it at a time, and then lightly blow on her face. Her natural reaction is to swallow in order to help her catch her breath.

• Options
    imagekelsea1031:
    imagerlfonda:

Our pedi told us to try this and it worked! We put the syringe in her cheek, dispense a little bit of it at a time, and then lightly blow on her face. Her natural reaction is to swallow in order to help her catch her breath.

Yep, this.  Except now DS likes the white grape flavor, so we just show him the syringe and say "Medicine" and he starts smacking his lips.

• Options

Thank you all for your replies!

I think I may actually have the pacifier dispenser, maybe I will try that. Also the nipple is a great idea and worth a shot. 

With her reflux medicine we would stick it in the back of her cheek and get it all in no problem, this is different for some reason. As soon as she sees it coming she turns her head and doesn't want it anywhere near her mouth, and god forbid she gets a taste of it. I guess if all else fails, into the bottle it goes! 

• Options
    I have been giving my LO Hyland's teething tablets.  They work great and are all-natural as well.  (I think they contain chamomile . . . zzzzzz!!) The tablets dissolve in her mouth.  A good friend of mine is a pediatric nurse practitioner and recommended them. 
    TTC #1 since 02/09 Dx: Unexplained infertility After a hysteroscopy and D&C in 4/10, 3 rounds of Clomid (and one round of Femara for good measure), and acupuncture for 5 months, I got my first BFP after my first round of IUI with Femara and injectables. I am blessed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"