Natural Birth
Options

Natural Birth & Induction

So I just left the dr. office and the midwife said I have to make an appt. next week to talk about induction.  As things stand now there is a good chance I will have to go in the night before to take something prior to Picotin (I believe she said Cervidil), and being given Picotin the next day.  I want a natural birth with no meds and I have heard how much harder it is if you are medically induced not to have more meds (such as epidural).  I am hoping for a VBAC and my chances lower with that as well if I have to be medically induced.

So I am wondering a few things.  Anyone go natural (no epidural or such) after being medically induced?

Also - I have been avoiding even natural induction because I really want to wait until baby is ready and let her come on her own.  I hate to rush her and then her have problems later.  I would rather be miserable a little longer.  But it seems that I am running out of time for that.  They won't let me go past July 29th.

So would you start natural induction methods now or wait a little bit longer?  I can't walk much due to pain, I am not sleeping (I only get one hour or less cat naps throughout the day and night) and everything I eat makes me nauseous.  So I am not even sure what to do exactly.  And I don't live in a big city so not sure how or if I can find an acupuncturist.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Natural Birth & Induction

• Options

Check out the FAQ in my siggy; there are some posts linked on this topic. Some others may answer here, too.

Natural induction methods don't really work unless the baby cooperates, so I would go for it on those. Have sex. If you have a breast pump, you can look up how to use breast stimulation to try to get things going. 

• Options
    I have no advice on what you should do, just wanted to say that pitocin induced labor is harder because your body does not build up tollerance over time, it is just turned on, so your hormones do not flow correctly, but, if you are determined enough, you can definately handle it epi free ! and when some time passes you will forget the pain. Gl !

babies

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess I wonder why you are being induced, but maybe it is none of my business. That being said, I would stall them as long as possible. Babies have a natural "oven timer" to let you know when they are done, their lungs release a chemical to induce labor when the lungs are fully developed!

I would wait to start natural induction methods till it gets closer. Of course I've heard of walking, swimming, sex, nipple stimulation, Caster oil, a special tea some midwifes have, evening primrose oil, and then there are always "old wives tales" of pineapple, spicy food, lemon, and make REALLY REALLY fun plans when it gets close. something you are REALLY looking forward to doing and then you'll have the baby and won't be able to go ;-)

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was induced with Cytotec (only needed two of the four doses) and did not get an epi, so it's possible!  The plan was cytotec then pitocin, but I didn't get to that point.  (I was 40w3d - induced due to prolonged rupture of membranes)

Like pp said, your hormones don't have a chance to progress naturally and you can go from no pain to high pain fast which just makes it harder to manage.

Good luck!  Whatever ends up happening, you'll be meeting your baby very soon. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This may not be your experience and I hope it is not if you decide to do this, but this is what happend to me (a bit graphic):

I was pregnant 42 weeks and 2 days when my oldest was born so when my second pregnancy was heading over 39 weeks I got nervous and in my stupid impatience, took 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS of castor oil! (my midwife had only recommend I take 2 TEASPOONS).

Well I went into labor that night..and let me tell you..although both my children were natural births and although they were both very painful, the pain I experienced with that 2nd labor was brutal beyond belief.

I literally was grabbing my skin and clawing at it so badly that I had long bloody scatches down my arms and on my neck my ex-husband always used to say that he was so scared because I wasnt yelling, moaning or making any sound. I just had tears coming out of my eyes and I was clawing at my skin and the harder he tried to pull my hands away the harder I clawed.

I was actually only in active labor about 2 hours, but after it was over I thought I had been there all night, so I say all this to say. If you do decide to do it please take only the recommended dose that your dr/midwife tells you to and please be very careful

Anniversary
  • Options
    I was induced with pitocin and had natural labor twice so it is very possible! My babies were comfortable!lol I believe all things in life are possible if you persevere, including natural labor!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had an induction with my first pregnancy because my doctors insisted that I couldn't go past my due date. I went in on a Monday and didn't give birth to my son until Thursday because the induction failed twice and I refused to let them give me a C-section for failure to progress. I just found out I am pregnant again and I will switch practices if they try to push that on me again. It was miserable because I felt like I constantly have to stand up for my med-free birth plan. Fortunately I was able to get through the ordeal without any pain medication and had a healthy son, so it is possible to have an induction and still follow your no pain meds plan. However I would make sure that they are pushing this induction for the right reasons. If Mom and Baby are doing fine and their are no medicals issues then there really is no reason to get an induction. I would make sure you have a clear picture on why before you agree to anything because they really can't force you to have a procedure you are not comfortable with. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Starting induction now is really up to you.  They can't tell you when you have to be induced, only suggest what they feel is medically needed.  Ultimately the decision is yours and yours alone.  Even saying you "can't" go past the 29th, they can't force you to come in.  Personally, you sound like you're really uncomfortable, tired, and in a lot of pain.  This might cause stress and that isn't good either.   

I was induced with DD bc I had gestational diabetes and was high risk.  I wanted to go all natural as well.  They started me on Cytotec and then about 8 hours later started pitocin.  I labored a little less than 24 hour with no epi.  It can be done!  

Pain is only temporary and our bodies were made for this!  Best of luck to you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm a second time mom but was able to labor without pain meds with the use of Pitocin. You may explore not getting the Cervadil if your cervix is already ripe, my OB said the risks with VBAC and cervical ripening are actually greater than the risks with Pit... just a thought.

Here's my story: https://motherofambition.blogspot.com/2012/05/annabelles-birth-story.html 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"