Military Families

Does Tricare Standard cover a breast pump?

Do any of you ladies know if Tricare covers a breast pump?  I've heard some insurance companies do and really don't do much with my Tricare, so I was curious if you know, and also if they do how I go about getting one covered.  TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does Tricare Standard cover a breast pump?

• I know that my friend was only able to get one for free because he baby was a premie and less than 6lbs. I doubt that they are covered on a regular basis though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ask at your base. Our base offers them through a program through the CDC. A few hoops to jump through but it's worth it for a free pump :)
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Tricare does not cover pumps in normal circumstances. I had a late term preemie (35w4d and 5 pounds 1 ounce) and I might have been able to get a pump. But it likely would have been a hospital grade rental which would have been worthless for me when I needed it (when I went back to work). So I bought a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. 

Unless you get lucky with some grant based program a the CDC, I think you need to start saving. I consider pumps to be like carseats - the responsibility if the parent. It honestly shocks me when I read that parents expect their insurance to pay for this kind of thing. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:

Tricare does not cover pumps in normal circumstances. I had a late term preemie (35w4d and 5 pounds 1 ounce) and I might have been able to get a pump. But it likely would have been a hospital grade rental which would have been worthless for me when I needed it (when I went back to work). So I bought a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. 

Unless you get lucky with some grant based program a the CDC, I think you need to start saving. I consider pumps to be like carseats - the responsibility if the parent. It honestly shocks me when I read that parents expect their insurance to pay for this kind of thing. 

I don't expect them to pay for it.  But if they are willing to like other insurance companies, then that's 300 dollars that can be spent on something else for our family.  With my first she was on $60 a week formula and that wasn't covered, and honestly that should have been since it was medically needed.  So for 10 months we spent around $2600 on formula that every other insurance company would cover. 

• On our base, e-5 and below, if you get your BFP at a base clinic or go to a prenatal exam there, (meaning you opted for standard but chose to se a prime dr to utilize the breast pump benefit) then they will rent you the pump for the first year. It's paperwork, but worth it. As the previous poster said, it is a bulky hospital grade pump. I chose not to get the pump because I am a SAHM and have no use for one, and I started the process to get one, then realized I would rather it go to someone who actually needed it. 
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Thank you, I'll look into it.  I'd even be happy to rent one and then invest my own if it really works out for DD2. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"