South Carolina Babies

Prenatal Exercise in Charleston

Does anyone have any recommendations for good prenatal exercise classes in the Charleston area? I think I'm going to try yoga at Holy Cow, but would also like to do something aerobic. I was thinking water aerobics, but am not a member of any of the local gyms. Does anyone know where I can pay to do JUST water aerobics (or some other prenatal aerobic exercise)?

Thanks!

Re: Prenatal Exercise in Charleston

• ives05ives05 member

Since this has been viewed with no comments, I figured I'd comment on what I've found out so far just in case anyone is interested!

I found out that they offer water aerobics at the W.L. Community Pool in West Ashley, off Playground Road, from 6:30-7:30pm Monday-Thursday. It is $3 if you are not a Chas. County resident, and $1 if you are.

They also offer them at the Danny Jones pool in Park Circle on Tuesdays at 6pm. I'm not sure about the other days.

And, SUPPOSEDLY they have them at 6pm at the R.L. Pool in Mt. Pleasant, but I went yesterday and there was no one there. That one is a bit pricier, though. I  think it's $50 for 12 classes if you are a non resident and something like $35 if you are a resident.

So...there you have it. I'm going to try and make the rounds, so hopefully I'll see some of you there!

• Hi .I saw that you tried the pool at Mt. P.  I plan on starting prenatal yoga at Serenity Now (also in Mt. P.) in July.  Have you had any luck with the water aerobics? Thanks for the info.
  • Loading the player...
  • ives05ives05 member

I went to the one at the Park Circle pool last week, which I found out meets on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 6-7. However, it is a seniors class...but they were very nice. :) I will probably go back. One day this week I'm going to check out the West Ashley pool, and will report back. I haven't been back to Mt. P though. I haven't checked out Serenity Now, I didn't know they have yoga. I may look into that!

• ives05ives05 member
    Back with an update...I went to the one at the W.L. Pool in West Ashley, and it was great. It was a good workout - fun teacher and class. I will definitely go back! It was from 6:30-7:30 and was $3.
  • Thanks!  Good to know.  That's funny about the one class being for seniors. Your a good sport. 
  • Hi! I've been wanting to take prenatal yoga (although I assume I'd be awful at it), have you tried out Holy Cow or Serenity Now? 
  • Hi.  I was at Serenity Now last night. It's a nice small group (there were five of us) and I'd say we were all in our 2nd and 3rd trimester.  The instructor will help adjust you if your a bit off on the poses and you can always take a look around the room for guidance.  Over all I'm glad I went and plan on going back next week.  It helped stretch out my back and hips and while it was calming and gentle, my body felt like it was getting a nice workout.

I plan on checking out Holy Cow as well.  I know they have three classes a week.

Good luck!

• Hello Ladies! I teach Fit 4 Baby, an active prenatal fitness class, at Bella Forza Studio in Mt Pleasant. Yes, we do push ups, jumping jacks, band work,, etc. It is a full body workout. The ACOG guidelines no long restrict you to slow, easy movements. Check out www.strollerstrides.com, my info is all there!
  • The Fit4Baby class sounds great...but looks like it's only offered Mon and Wed from 7:30-8:30am. I work full time and have to be at work at 8:30...any chance that an evening class might be offered?

Regarding the water aerobics classes at the Park West and R.L Jones pools...I used to work that the Rec Center, and most of the classes are mostly attended by seniors (generally the classes taught by Susan). However, the classes taught by Lydia were usually more of a workout and had a younger attendance. The aquatics brochure is online...scroll past the swim team stuff and then you get into the water aerobic classes.

https://townofmountpleasant.com/DocumentCenter/View/382 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"