Baby Names

Hebrew name help?

Does anyone know where I might find a Hebrew name corresponding to Felicity?  

We plan on giving the baby an American name corresponding to a Hebrew name. 

Felicity would be the middle name in English, and is after Fay, who had a Yiddish name (Faygele) but not a Hebrew name.   I would like to give her a Hebrew first name of Jochannon (and one of its derivations as the English first name).  

Would it be weird to give her a Hebrew first and Yiddish middle name?   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hebrew name help?

• As far as I understand your question, I think the Hebrew equivalent to Felicity would be Simcha, meaning joy or happiness.

I don't think it would be strange to use both Hebrew and Yiddish names if they are meaningful to you.

• I'm not totally following the question, but I think it's perfectly fine to mix Hebrew and Yiddish names. It's no different than blending an anglo name with an Italian one. This is done all of the time. I agree with PP that Simcha would probably be your best bet for Felicity. Good call using Fay (although I prefer Faye)... I've only heard Faygele used as slang.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We are actually naming after a Phyllis, and the "hebrew" name was Faygele as well.  I think we might stick with Faygele even though it is Yiddish because I like the tradition on the yiddish name.  Almost all my grandparents had yiddish names instead of hebrew names, so it is kind of honoring that era.  I think doing a Hebrew and Yiddish is a nice combination of all cultures.

• Are you giving you child an English/American name and a Hebrew?   The purpose of having a Hebrew name is that it will be used in synagogue and on special occasions such as Bar/Bat Mitzvah.  In this situation a Yiddish name would not be used. It is completely fine to use a Yiddish name as the everyday name in place of the English/American name. However in synagogue I believe a Hebrew name is used.  You should check with your Rabbi. A great place to look for Jewish/Yiddish/Hebrew baby names is on kveller.com
  • It is perfectly fine to mix Hebrew and Yiddish names especially if you are honoring a family member. However Jochannon ("Yochanan"?) is a boy's name - so depending on why you chose that I would say go with Chana or something else instead. Faygele is ok as a MN, Simcha or Oshra could work as translations of Felicity or Penina as a sound alike name.
  • I'm having a hard time following.  Is the name you're looking at "Jochannon Faygele ______"?  Or are you looking for a Hebrew name to correspond with "Johanna (or something similar) Felicity _______"?
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Go to this site:

https://my-hebrew-name.com/list_of_hebrew_names.php (sorry, I don't know how to make clicky). 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageblu-eyedwife:
    Or are you looking for a Hebrew name to correspond with "Johanna (or something similar) Felicity _______"?

This. 

Thanks all for your help!  I also figured out today that it should be Yochana/Jochana not Jochannon.  But thank you...that would have been sort of embarrassing. 

I love the idea of Penina for Felicity because I had a great-aunt Penina who had an amazing life story to pass on.  And Simcha is beautiful.  But I'm leaning towards Yochana Faygele because Faygele is who I really want to honor with the middle name.  (I think it would mean more to my mother-in-law that way -- Fay was her mother.)  Perhaps we could just use Yochana for a bat mitzvah/other formal occasions.

While I have your attention and very helpful help...the name we are thinking of for a boy is Benjamin Harry.  Am I correct in assuming that Benyamin Haim would be appropriate for a Hebrew name? 

• You know the Hebrew name doesn't have to correspond with the English name, right?  You could pick something totally different.  My son's Hebrew name is Ben-Tsion, which was my father's Hebrew name.  But my son's name isn't Ben Zion or anything close to that. My Hebrew name is just a pretty name in Hebrew my parents liked, no connection to my name.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    You know the Hebrew name doesn't have to correspond with the English name, right?  You could pick something totally different.  My son's Hebrew name is Ben-Tsion, which was my father's Hebrew name.  But my son's name isn't Ben Zion or anything close to that. My Hebrew name is just a pretty name in Hebrew my parents liked, no connection to my name.

This. DS1's English name honors both of our grandpas (they shared a name) and my grandma, but his Hebrew name is after our grandpas and my BFF who passed away right before he was born. Likewise, DS's English name is for DH's grandma and my grandpa, whereas his Hebrew name memorializes my grandpa and grandma. The two sets of names are a nice way to cover more ground. Your rabbi or mohel should be a great resource. Start there.

• imagechibride4:

imageblu-eyedwife:
    You know the Hebrew name doesn't have to correspond with the English name, right?  You could pick something totally different.  My son's Hebrew name is Ben-Tsion, which was my father's Hebrew name.  But my son's name isn't Ben Zion or anything close to that. My Hebrew name is just a pretty name in Hebrew my parents liked, no connection to my name.

This. DS1's English name honors both of our grandpas (they shared a name) and my grandma, but his Hebrew name is after our grandpas and my BFF who passed away right before he was born. Likewise, DS's English name is for DH's grandma and my grandpa, whereas his Hebrew name memorializes my grandpa and grandma. The two sets of names are a nice way to cover more ground. Your rabbi or mohel should be a great resource. Start there.

Thanks!  We'll check!  Though we prefer the Hebrew name and American name to have some sort of connection (it's the tradition in both of our families), but we're still managing to cover a lot of ground.  (Good thing all those grandfathers were named Harry!) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"