LGBT Parenting
Options

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

Let's hear the updates!

And because we had a conversation with the my inlaws this morning about nutrition, Michelle Obama, and bread crusts....What steps are you taking or do you plan to take to feed your kiddos healthy foods (and maybe healthier than yourself or than you were fed as a kid)?

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• Options

ATP: This is the only category I get to fill out now...Anyway moving on to not dwelling on sh*t that cannot be changed. Ky is great. She is suprisingly taking everything in stride. I got her room at my mom's house set up last night and it is super cute. I am going to get her some new bedding (the stuff she had I hated but it was what was given to her by my MIL and we just kept). She had a check up last night (she had an ear infection they checked to make sure it cleared since she had two less than two months apart) and they could not get an accurate height (if they used the one they got it means she shrunk Stick out tongue ) and she weighs about 24.5 lbs. I have not had a biting report form my DCP in almost two weeks. I am kind of scared to type that...

I ate crap as a kid. Not that my mom did not feed me well just that we ate a lot of processed foods because a single mom with two kids and a 55 hour/week work schedule poses certain challenges. I try to offer Ky a variety of foods. I cook a lot through out the week. I try to make leftover containers for easy dinners for her on nights I know I am not cooking. I also always keep little containers of whole wheat pasta with sauce in the freezer at all times. I admit I keep chicken nuggets in there too. She gets a veggie with every lunch/dinner. Fruit with every breakfast is offered and there is always fresh fruit in the house for snacks. Ky will choose a banana or some fresh berries over anythign else almost always. Snack wise I try to stick healthy: pb on crackers, goldfish, fruit, fruit snacks. I will let her have sweets (a sucker, a few m&ms, a cupcake, a cookie) maybe twice a week? It really depends on how she has been eating. She refuses to drink plain water but will drink it if it is flavored with those little packets. She would live on milk if I let her so I do try to limit that to three (10 oz) cups a day.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

ATP: Thankfully, the wacky behaviors of last week have quieted down and while my house isn't quiet, my children aren't acting like a bunch of heathens. :) Gray came home last night saying that he thought he might throw up and his throat hurt. Thankfully he seemed fine after a good nights sleep (both kids were asleep by 7:45 last night! WHOO HOO!) I am also thankful it is going to be MUCH MUCH cooler this weekend so we can get in some outside time. Our outside time has been pretty limited with this crazy 100+ degree weather.

QOTD: The kids ate REALLY healthy until about 3y, which is when they started pre-school/they got picky.  Before that, they were home with our nanny and ate pretty much which she ate - which was really healthy/primarily vegetarian. And she would often fix dinner for the kids before she left. Once the kids went to preschool and we weren't getting home till 6pm, we started to do more easy kid foods - which is now primarily what they eat. They despise vegetables (that they used to love - sigh) and I refuse to have a power struggle over food, so we make sure that they eat fruit (no problems there) and take their vitamins.

They probably eat the same as I did as a kid, with the exception of snacks. My grandfather took to for ice cream/fast food nearly every day after school - I would never allow that. We do allow fast food (typically 1x a week because of convenience (but they eat apples instead of fries and have milk.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

TTC:- Having a sad day. I'm 13 DPO today, and bought some HPTs on the way to work, took one in the office loo, and its negative. I know its early, but I really thought it would be positive. My poor colleague and friend was talking to me, and I snapped at him, and got teary - bah. Oh well...I have a feeling it will be a teary day for me.

QOTD:- I grew up in England and Apartheid South Africa, my mother cooked a lot of fresh food. Since South Africa didn't have much in the way of fast food (no McDonalds, etc) we ate home cooked meals every night and once a month when my parents went out on their date night, we'd have a babysitter and get to eat KFC - which was one of the only international fast food place that stuck around during apartheid. She also used to make extra veggies and liquidize them. She'd then pour them into ice cube trays for my brother or sister who were babies at the time.  I am not as good as my mother about cooking daily, but I do try, and I avoid processed food as much as possible - except for an occasional McFilth breakfast. I plan to encourage lots of fruit and veggies and follow mum's example of easy baby food. The only special kids food we were ever allowed is if my mum made a hot curry, then she'd make a 'kids curry' that was less spicy. Apart from that, we ate what the family ate as children, including escargot, stinky cheeses, etc and we loved it.

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• Options

ATP: C is doing just great! It's hard to believe he is 8 months old today. I was looking at his newborn pictures last night and it just amazes me that it's already been 8 months. Some days it seems as though it's been much longer but other days I am begging time to slow down. He isn't crawling yet. He does like to take steps while holding onto you and seems to be much better on his feet. I'm not sure if he will crawl at all. He has always hated being on his tummy so it's a challenge to get him interested in it. He just got his first tooth and it is so adorable. We are just in awe over him!

PCP/TTC: Things between us are very slowly getting better but a second child is a ways off still. However, C's donor has been sold out for quite awhile now but just recently a lady was selling vials as she didn't need them anymore. I couldn't help myself. I had to buy them! So we officially now have more vials of C's donor to try for a full bio sibling. 

QOTD: We started solids at 5.5 months and so far he has had a wide array of organic fruits and vegetables. We are just starting to introduce meats. We plan to continue an organic diet and hope to keep processed foods to a minimum. We are hoping he never gets familiar with the "golden arches". We also hope to delay introducing juice. We plan to homeschool so I think that will help when he gets older in that he will be eating what we prepare for him pretty much all of the time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

ATP: Good week for the kids.  Rosebud had a fluky stomach bug but it passed very quickly.  Sprout was exceptionally good and sensitive at our GTG with his sister and her family yesterday (which, btw was a fantastic time). Daisy is getting so grown up!! I cant believe how *into* her world she is these days - understands everything and is talking so much.  She's also been using the potty pretty consistently which is awesome.  They are all just such fun kids.  I'm having a blast with them this summer.

QOTD: Its so important to me that my kids have a better relationship with food than I do.  Growing up I had a lot of processed food, canned veggies, ect.  Fast food was limited but it wasnt uncommon for my dad to bring home big buckets of fried chicken for dinner. We focus much more on fresh fruits and veggies.  Granted, my kids dont eat a whole ton every day, but they are always offered and they always see DW and I eating our veggies.  We limit fast food big time (my kids have had happy meals but it doesnt happen with any regularity).  I'd like to get away from the kid foods (even organic chicken nuggets arent the best choice) but being working parents of 3 young children...something's got to give. As for sugar - we do allow it, but as a treat.  I'm not a fan of juice (sugar shouldnt be hidden, they should know its a dessert/treat) and Sprout has a limited number of tickets each month that he can use to "buy" a dessert if he eats a good dinner. Its the best thing I could come up with to help him learn that sweets are okay, but in moderation.

• Options

The Girls are one OMG how it flys by. Party was a success just minor Major bumps in the road but i did not let them phase me. M dad was  caught drinking again - it was super disappointing  he nearly missed their b day - I just dont have time to worry about him and I feel bad for that  yet I feel like I am the only one who worries about him more so than his fam.. Is that odd- perhaps we just worry differently.  But party in Ca was good trip sucked and The Girls now that they are ONE are HELLIONS L is walking and S is close behind her... but they are so CRANKY - CRANKY CRANKY CRANKY... perhaps traveling

QOTD: We did not have snacks or treat growing up and we could only eat our fries after we at the good stuff or drink after we finished our meal ..  but it was  the basics chicken lots of chicken and mac n cheese and hot dogs hamburgers. I am a much healthy eater now and eat so much more - I was never exposed to fish and stuff like that till i was much older . Im a vegetarian now have been since 17 .  I do recall eating a lot as a child .. i just ate and ate ... always asking for more... then I became obese. Then surgery and now  healthier but oddly i am more food obsessed since i had the surgery than I was b4...

We feed the girls protein and veggies and fruit . They eat way better than i did as a kid just because I know about more stuff and different  graines and omegas and all the stuff we did not know or failed to pay attention to. 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    I am struggling emotionally.  It has been a year.  We are talking next steps, and talking time off.  It all hurts.  DW's sister is getting married next summer and this cycle is our last shot to have a baby to bring to the wedding.  If I got pregnant anywhere in the next 4-5 months I won't be able to attend the wedding.  It's about the wedding, but it's not really about the wedding...it's the last straw of stress.  It's about this ruling our lives it's about having no control it's about what if this never happens.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options

imageKershnic:
    I am struggling emotionally.  It has been a year.  We are talking next steps, and talking time off.  It all hurts.  DW's sister is getting married next summer and this cycle is our last shot to have a baby to bring to the wedding.  If I got pregnant anywhere in the next 4-5 months I won't be able to attend the wedding.  It's about the wedding, but it's not really about the wedding...it's the last straw of stress.  It's about this ruling our lives it's about having no control it's about what if this never happens.

I am sorry. Infertility sucks. Take care of yourself and each other.Left Hug

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

N is amazing. He is standing on his own (for very short periods of time) walkin with his walker, crawling like a mad man, and generally taking down everything in his path. He has started crawling with his bum in the air so it's only a matter of time before he straightens up and starts to walk. He loves loves loves to read. We read 20+ books a day. I am bored to tears with the many, many we own. I am going to start taking him to story time at our library, hopefully they have a wide selection... We need it! 9 months is my favorite yet. Insane and more like 2 years than I would have imagined but so so fun. The not so fun is N doesnt sleep. Ever. He still only has 2 teeth and I prey the rest of them pop through at the same time (tomorrow). Something's got to give. He squirms around the bed, uncomfortable and crying and then finally falls asleep for  10 min and wakes back up and do it again and again and again..  Omg. I need sleep! 30-45 min increments all night, for 9 months, is insane!!

TTC-  i have been testing for ovulation for the last 3 weeks. This morning it looks like it might be happening!! I still haven't gotten my period but N is showing no signs of wanting to wean and we decided to just go for it, if I happen to be ovulating. The line was dark this morning but no smiley face so.. Hopefully tomorrow!

QOTD- I was raised with 3 cookies a day and no soda or snacks or sugary cereal. So far N has been 90% organic and we plan to keep him that way as long as possible. We don't eat any fast food, ever.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

TTC: I'm on Day 4 of Clomid and so far no side effects.  I know some women experience them more after they stop pills, so that still remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.  Also hopeful about the effect they have on my stupid effing ovaries or my stupid effing eggs or whatever it is that's not stepping up to the stupid effing plate.  Monitoring Monday, IUI sometime next week.

My mom was stricter when we were little -- we were the kids who weren't allowed to have snack cakes or fluffernutters or Wonder bread because it was "crap" -- but as we got older, schedules got crazier, and she worked more, there was more and more junk in the house.  My family members all have serious sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) and we always had ice cream or cookies around (and ate it more than we should have).  Homemade cookies might taste better and have less weird stuff in them but they will still make you fat!  I've been on WW for 3 years and lost a lot of weight and have *mostly* maintained it (I believe I have TTC stress to thank the extra 10 lbs I can't seem to get rid of), but in general I'm much better about moderation in everything and I hope to raise my kids to understand that better than I did.  We love to cook and we make almost everything from scratch -- very few processed foods -- but I worry about how easy it will be to do that when we have kid(s) and are both working full time.  There are only so many hours in the day!

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options

imageKershnic:

Wish there was something I could do, but I know there isn't.  Hang in there.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options

ATP: I had (am having) a meltdown regarding Pumpkin's progress--developmental milestones.  The Birth to Three woman made me feel a bit better, but it is such an unknown.

The girls are doing well--Carrot is adjusting well to our routine and is so FUNNY! She is always making up little songs and putting bits of stories in them.  Gives me hope that she is so smart.

Zucchini is adjusting as well as she can---but seems to be genuinely looking forward to time with us, and has called each of us "Mama ____" on a few occasions.

QOTD: The kids eat differently than I think they would if they had been with us since birth. But, I just cook one meal each night, and include vegetables and fruit in it. The only time I buy McD's is when we use their playland--and I've only ever bought ice cream. No food. We try to teach/model some moderation.

• Options
    hlkehlke member

imageKershnic:

I am so sorry. *hugs*  I hope you can find a solution that brings you some peace, whatever that may be. 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options
    hlkehlke member

PCP: Seem to have reached an agreement on the giant lead paint hazard in our back entrance.  Our landlady is so sweet and concerned about my chemical sensitivities that she wants to wait until we're away to do the work.  I'm like "let's just get it done!" (also, I want to police for lead-safe work practices, because I'm a freak/work in public health)

TTC: Did insemination #3 last week, we'll be 14 DPO next Friday, right before we go to a family gathering with C's family.  Seeing her family is really stressful on her (and fairly stressful on me too), so I hope either she's preggers or she gets her period on Thursday so she can have a day to be bummed about the BFP before we have to deal with the family stress.  Our timing was better this time than the last few times.

Being the non-carrying partner has definitely changed my perspective and made me feel a little crazy.  I used to cringe when people said "we're pregnant", but I definitely just said "we'll" be 14 DPO tomorrow, and I don't ovulate!  And I honestly am feeling a little left out because I really am the one who wants to be pregnant, and I really want to be the one who gets to breastfeed and spend the first 8 or 12 weeks at home with the tiny baby, which are feelings that have surprised me a little.

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options

I just have a wee bit of time before bed for the QOTD=)

Variety is the first thing that comes to mind.  We always have various fruits and veggies on hand as well as snack's that are on the healthier side like organic yogurts, string cheese, almonds, sliced bell peppers, carrots, etc.  DW and I have never been big soda drinker's so that is something we may buy a handful of times a year for the house. DW is a wonderful chef so she has made our baby foods.  Our 3 little ones prefer veggies above anything else.  I think we are lucky there!  Older DD ate about 7 different things until she was 4=)  That child hated EVERYTHING.  We expose them all to a variety of ethnic foods as well.  I was raised pretty healthy, not to say I didn't eat fast foods at times, but that was a HUGE treat and that is how we treat it.  We are a cooking family.  DW has taught DD (and will teach the other's) how to make homemade pasta, the difference between various grains (quinoa, couscous, barley, etc.) and how to cook them. We have encouraged her to be a part of the preparation for our meals as soon as she was able to help.  DS loves helping also.  When we move to a place with a larger yard, I hope to grow veggies and berries and have them help in that process as well.  I always had a sense of pride eating a tomato that I had watered and tended as a child=)  All in all I would have to say our goal is to keep it healthy as much as possible. We allow other foods that are not "healthy" as "treats" so they are not glorified .

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that replied to me.  I also want to add in the light of a new day, I honestly know there's a lot we haven't tried and there is still a lot of hope.   It's just frustrating.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"