March 2012 Moms

**namcgee**

How did surgery and nursing go? I've been thinking about ya!
image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: **namcgee**

• nah82nah82 member

Thanks for thinking of me!  Super long and descriptive surgery story here.  I ended up buying a pump because I figured since it was so close to surgery, I would need to pump even just for comfort.  I had to have a vocal cord assessment last Monday, which involves feeding a very long tube through the nostril into the throat with lidocaine to numb the area.  I asked if it would be safe to nurse afterwards and overheard a doctor telling the nurse that I'd asked "I guarantee you that it's never been studied".  But they told me it would be okay to nurse 2 hours later after it has worn off.

I was really super scared prior to surgery but by the time we got to the hospital, there was no time to be scared because they really rushed me from place to place.  Thank goodness I pumped on the way in the car (2 hour drive to get to the hospital) because there was no time or privacy to do it again once I got there.  I was under anesthesia from about 9:00 - 3:00 and of course you're not allowed to be wearing anything under your hospital gown, so the top of my gown was wet when I woke up and I had to wait for them to bring my husband to my room since he had my pump and glasses.  The left side of my chest and neck were very tender, but it really didn't hurt much to pump thank goodness.

My anesthesiologist said I could nurse as soon as I was awake and my nurses and resident said to pump and dump for 24 hours.  My resident didn't know if it was okay to nurse while on Vicodin and the other resident said it was fine as long as I was only taking it every 6 hours.  So, I definitely learned that everybody learned something different regarding nursing and anesthesia and pain relievers!  I read what kellymom had to say on the subject, but I don't take her word as gospel either, so I decided to do the most cautious thing and pump and dump until I quit taking the Vicodin.  I switched to extra strength tylenol on Saturday and am back to nursing.

I felt like I had a big black bruise from my left shoulder to breast to left side of my neck after surgery and had a horrible sore throat, but I was happy to still be able to talk!  I'm feeling a little better everyday.  Sore throat is gone, almost have full range of motion back in my left arm so I can put my own shirt and bra on, still a bit of a reach to wash my hair and put it up.  My neck still gets tired easily and is stiff and the left side of my chest is still semi numb and sore and I can feel pec muscles pulling.  My follow up appointment is July 30 to get the pathology report.  That still worries me since they said my nodule was "huge".

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm glad it all went well for you and you still have your voice!  I woke up soaking wet after my d&c complications and realized through the haze that I needed to pump.  We got a nice clean gown but then trying to pump laying down mostly flat was pretty difficult and we dumped milk all over me so I had to change all over again!  Its funny the things you don't realize are so much harder laying down.

I was on vicodin and was told by many it was safe, but I am sure there is a threshold of where a certain dose becomes unsafe.  They did warn me that it is passed in tiny tiny dose to dd so it would make her tired if she drank the milk.

Fingers crossed the pathology is ok and you can move on!

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • nah82nah82 member
    Doctor's office called with my pathology results yesterday afternoon, no cancer!!  Now I just need blood work to see if the half of a thyroid I have left can carry me or if I need thyroid meds.  I can totally live with that!  My sore collarbone will go away and my neck will be stronger soon enough.  Onto happy things, planning LO's baptism and our trip to ride on Thomas the Train for our "big" boy.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"