High-Risk Pregnancy

Hi and a question for those with pre-exsisting diabetes

Hi ladies,

Yesterday I got a positive home pregnancy test. I have type 1 diabetes. My AIC was 5.6 and everything was pretty good until about week ago when my numbers started to go through the roof. Now that I know I am pregnant I realize my hormones are causing this sudden insulin resistance. 

I have been on the phone with the dr.s office and emailing numbers. I got a bolus change yesterday ( I am on the pump.) But my 1 hour after meal numbers are still in the 200's so I need another change. I am totally freaking out right now. I know early in pregnancy is when all the major organs are forming and I am so scared this is going to hurt my baby.

Has anyone had high numbers in early pregnancy and go on to have a healthy baby or healthy rest of your pregnancy. Thanks so much!

edit: title

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

type 1 diabetic for 7 years. Been on the pump for 6 years.

Re: Hi and a question for those with pre-exsisting diabetes

• Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time right now! Although the organs are forming, keep in mind that your baby's blood and yours don't mix so although your blood sugar seems astronomical to you, it may not affect the baby as much as you think.  My hormone levels are crazy but I was told not to worry because it wouldn't affect the growing fetus (zygote... whatever it is right now!)'s development, but may make the chances of miscarriage higher. I would assume the same for you; but your doctor is doing everything they can to get it under control and I'm sure it'll happen. It just may mean a major lifestyle overhaul!  Good luck and keep us posted.  I'm early, too...  (6 1/2 wks) it's so dang easy to freak out over everthing small, so when something big like crazy hormones/blood sugar is happening, it's nearly impossible to stay calm.  But you're not alone.
  • imageAUnger022:
    Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time right now! Although the organs are forming, keep in mind that your baby's blood and yours don't mix so although your blood sugar seems astronomical to you, it may not affect the baby as much as you think.  My hormone levels are crazy but I was told not to worry because it wouldn't affect the growing fetus (zygote... whatever it is right now!)'s development, but may make the chances of miscarriage higher. I would assume the same for you; but your doctor is doing everything they can to get it under control and I'm sure it'll happen. It just may mean a major lifestyle overhaul!  Good luck and keep us posted.  I'm early, too...  (6 1/2 wks) it's so dang easy to freak out over everthing small, so when something big like crazy hormones/blood sugar is happening, it's nearly impossible to stay calm.  But you're not alone.

thansk so much for the reply.

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Blessed,  you might get more responses if you change your post title and put something like, "question for women with pre-existing diabetes," just so they don't miss your post.  Just a thought...that's what I always do. 
    Cycle 7: BFP 1-17-12, Missed Miscarriage at 8w6d (measured 7w2d, no HB), D&C 2-29-12
    Cycle 9: BFP 5-3-12:EDD 1-24-13 It's a girl! Born 12-27-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekpowers982:
    Blessed,  you might get more responses if you change your post title and put something like, "question for women with pre-existing diabetes," just so they don't miss your post.  Just a thought...that's what I always do. 

okay, thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

• You are on a pump and don't make your own changes to your bolus? You have a great A1C so it sounds like you are/were under control. My carb ratios changed from the very beginning and are still changing.  This is my second pregnancy with type 1 diabetes. I found out during my last pregnancy that I was a type 1, no less. But high blood sugars in the early pregnancy can cause birth defects or miscarriage. :o(  I lost 2 babies before 13 weeks just before my last pregnancy because I didn't know I was a type 1 and my blood sugars were high.  Info below:

https://diabetes.webmd.com/pregnancy-diabetes-and-pregnancy

200's are not the end of the world though. Correction boluses may be needed too. You are already checking your blood sugars, and will probably have to test much much more than you do now (I have to test 10 times a day). You may want to consider seeing a high-risk OB too, because it comes with special potential problems. I also suggest checking into a CGM (see your Endo or high-risk OB about that). It has made a huge difference for me. I've been able to keep my A1C at about 5.8.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a type 2 diabtic, not on the pump.

When i was pregnant with DS, before I even found out that I was pregnant, my numbers were awful.  I thought I needed to change my meds (was taking metformin at the time, and was doing great.)  I remember crying because my numbers would go from 75 to 300 and back again so quickly.... BUT today, I have a happy & healthy 2.5 year old!! :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ive had T1 for 4 years on a pump and CGM I see a high risk ob clinic. 
    I agree with a pp about trying to get a CGM it has really improved my A1C and numbers over all. I had highs during my first pregnancy and I have a very healthy 2yo girl. Your A1C is great!! is there a certian time of day or specific food that makes your number spike? I try to bolus 15 min before eating this helps your insulin get a jump start on working. I also have to do dual wave for my am coffee over a 2 hour period. My insulin intake has almost trippled since this pregnancy began, so there will be lots of adjustments over the next few months. You are welcome to PM me if you have any other questions.

• So my message wasn't totally scary, my last baby, when I found out I was a type 1, they discovered during my glucose screening, and I was in DKA and hospitalized, but I have a healthy 13 month old now. Since I was previously undiagnosed, my A1C at that time was 12.9! Being aware of your blood sugars and trying to keep them in check is the best thing you can do :o) Good luck!
  • Thank you for sharing that- I am 15 weeks pregnant, and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes with an AIC of 13% when I was only 7/8 weeks pregnant! I was so scared that I would loose the baby, and I still know that there are much higher risks for our baby to have problems, but it is very encourageing to know that your 13 month old is healthy!

So I have been trying to get my blood sugars under control over the past 7 weeks (and they have made significant improvement!), but it is very encouraging to hear of someone else's story, who got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in your pregnancy as well! Blessings on your baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey lady, first and foremost congrats on the positive pregnancy test!!  I have type 2 diabetes and understand completely with numbers being through the roof!  Just fasting for me was between 275-300.  Talk about freaking out!  I was livid!  All that I can say is not to stress out too much about that because it'll only make the numbers increase even more.  I learned that the hard way so definitely take it easy with this.  I know that this isn't easy but keep smiling!  You'll get through this!  Have a great day!!

imageMake a pregnancy ticker

• Hello,

I'm type 1 as well, have been for the last 7 years, and 16.5 weeks pregnant with my first baby.

When I first found out I was pregnant I had high numbers at night but my morning blood sugars were beyond low... I'm talking under 60.

My cousin has been a big support for me as she has her own son and also went through this.  She told me in the beginning she had super low blood sugars but they slowly crept up as time went on.

Just keep watching what you eat and make sure you keep in contact with your doctor at all times. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"